Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Question about CUDA on Nvidia 4000

Dec 5, 2012 2:31 AM

Tags: #error #cuda #premiere #crash #cs6 #nvidia_quadro_4000 #mercury_playback_engine_gpu_acceleration

Hi there everyone,

In the process of getting my Premiere CS6 application to finally work with my Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphics card WITHOUT crashing immediately, as soon as the MPE is switched to "GPU accelerated" (in which I still haven't succeeded the last couple of months) I have reached the point where NO-ONE seems to be able to help me anylonger, which is why I am constantly testing new theories about this.

It seems everytime I switch to involve CUDA power, an immediate time-out is caused and although I tweaked the Windows registry in many ways, with DWORDS and QWORDS with incredibly long delay times, the error persisted.

Now I recently discovered that Nvidia runs on (at least) three processes: nvvsvc.exe, nvwmi64.exe and nvxdsync.exe, but I wondered why the first two of these appear TWICE when I select "Show processes from all users" in Windows task manager. See picture below. Could it be that some other app or even Windows itself is already "occupying" the CUDA cores, which causes the Premiere MPE to time out on it? And if not, why do nvvsvc.exe and nvwmi64.exe both run twice with different quantities of memory?

Capture.JPG

Anyone running Premiere CS6 with an Nvidia Quadro 4000 seeing the same processes? Very curious about this one, so thanks a lot for your reply in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to Lewiz

I'm running win 7 and a quadro 4000. This is what I have in task manager;

4000-driver.jpg

Although the file nvwmi64.exe does exist in my C: drive (in two places), as you can see its not running in Task Manager. I'm also running an older driver version. Maybe that's the difference?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Lewiz

In Windows task manager in the processes tab the only wmi I can see is     WmiPrvSE.exe      described as     WMI Provider Host     . No version number shown.

On the services tab the only wmi is     wmiApSrv      WMI Performance Adapter.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to Lewiz

Could this be a power supply issue?

|
    Mark as:
  • Alex Gerulaitis
    490 posts
    Jun 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to Lewiz

The fact that the Quadro's fan rotation speed is boosted at the moment of every crash for a few seconds (because it is being reset every time) would make me suspect it could be a power supply thing... but then, Premiere CS FIVE works flawlessly on the CUDA cores, which suggests that Premiere CS SIX would make a very specific and different appeal on the card's cores.

It's puzzling.  One of my clients had a similar crashing issue (HP Z800, Quadro 4000, Premiere Pro CS5) and it was cured by replacing the Quadro card.

Any chance for you to borrow another Quadro 4000 somewhere, or even a different Quadro card (even a Quadro 2000 or FX 1800 will work)?  If it crashes too, it's a system issue; if it doesn't - it's a card issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to Alex Gerulaitis

hello all,

i have a win7 pc tower with an i7 930, 24gb ram and 2 quadro 4000's with 4 monitors

i run a very stable cs5.03

the quadro 4000 cards run extremely hot (from pny, at least)

so hot that i have manually configured the quadro fans to run at 85% constantly

when exporting with PPRO or AME on high gpu intensive jobs the 1 card processing the cuda

would heat past 100 degrees C then  crash the system...even with the gpu fans turned up to 100 percent

my solution was to buy a stanley  blower fan

now both cards idle at 70 degrees C and export at 85 degrees C (with the gpu load rising as high as 80 percent usage)

i have tweaked my OS a lot and have configured my 'power profile' to be always at 100 percent Performance

that way i know my hardware is always giving me maximum power...which is why i think the quadros are always running hot...

it is the next phase i want to trouble shoot is modifying power profiles to find a suitable one

that will allow the cards to only ramp up to maximum when i am exporting...

i removed the side casings from my tower and added the stanley fan...which is very powerful and quiet

hopefully this helps...

i love adobe products...

i love my quadro4000s

j

you should get a gpu monitor and starting checking your gpu temps

perhaps as soon as you open premeire the card goes into high performance mode

because of the gpu acceleration potential...the card heats up (and they heat quickly)

and your system crashes...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 1:03 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

These are extreme temperatures. I have a GTX 680/4GB overclocked by 15% and the idle temperature is around 35C and does not rise to more than 58C under heavy load. I think you ought to investigate your cooling and airflow in the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:56 AM   in reply to Lewiz

The temperatures worry me. It is way too high to start with when idle and they rise much to fast. On my system the idle temperature with a large or complex project loaded the temps remain around 35° C. In contrast your 74-75° C are extremely high, more than double my normal temps. When rendering extremely complex timelines with 7 tracks, that even on my system take around 1 minute to render with hardware MPE turned on, the temperature of the video card, despite the overclocking does not rise to more than 40° C.

I don't care who built the system, you have a serious cooling problem.

If you want to see if that really is the case, go to http://ppbm7.com/index.php/instructions and download the file. Unpack the ZIP file, open the project and with hardware MPE turned on, render the H.264 timeline and report what temps your video card shows during the render.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:37 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm, what do you use to monitor the temperatures?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:58 AM   in reply to Andrew_S

I use either GPU-Z or EVGA PrecisionX. In this case I used EVGA PrecisionX to monitor the temps while PR was rendering that devilish timeline. It is easier to read than GPU-Z.

@Lewiz,

Can you also report the idle temps of the CPU, motherboard and disks using HWMonitor and the same while rendering this timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to Lewiz

Lewiz,

If you start with only software MPE and start rendering, you will get a good indication of what temps your video card will attain. You can cut off the test after a couple of minutes and report the other temps as well, otherwise you may be in for a very long wait.

That info may be helpful in locating the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Lewiz

You could try a new software MPE project and import the H.264 sequence into it. Or force MPE to off by modifying cuda_supported_cards.txt to read not Quadro 4000 but changing that line to read Quadro 400 or deleting the line with Quadro 4000 altogether.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:56 PM   in reply to Lewiz

Lewiz,

I never had a Quadro card, but generally these are made to rather tight specs. If overclocking does help to avoid the crashes, I suggest you try out very moderate overclocking, like a GPU of 525 MHz and a memory at less than 1100 MHZ to start with. You can always fine-tune later, but first get the video in order.

BTW, did you adjust the fan curve to reduce the temps to get it back from 75 to around 50° C?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to Lewiz

Hi

I've just 'upgraded' from a GTX 285 to the Quadro 4000 - primarily because I was getting display crashes when using the Hardware acceleration in Premiere CS6. Now, after the upgrade, that has completely disappeared and the graphics are working fine.

I have checked the processes running and each of the 3 processes are only shown once. I'm using the latest drivers - installed yesterday - and everything works fine.

Can't offer an explanation for the crashes you're getting - sorry!

Very disappointed with the quadro 4000 performance on AVCHD editing - not obviously better / faster than the 285 GTX.The hardware CUDA performance is no better than when I use software rendering in premiere CS6 - at least not when editing HD264 (which I am at the moment). Haven't checked against SD editing though.

I'm running an I7 3.2gig with ssd (main) hard drive, raided video drive and the win7 benchmark shows a performance score of 7.4 from 7.9 - with the Quadro 4000 producing the lowest score at 7.4.

Any idea how I might improve speed of rendering etc

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 3:42 AM   in reply to wrinklypeter2

Below are two screen shots from GPU-Z of my quadro 4000 card if this helps in the discussion of temps and frequencies.

CPU-switch -on.jpg

CPU-switch -on 2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Andrew_S

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the TechpowerUp tables.

I installed TechpowerUp and got very similar results to your shown - except that my GPU temperature was a bit higher AND (this is the query!) I find that when I start TechpowerUp it reports CUDA in use. However, as soon as I load premiere CS6 and then review re-start TechpowerUP it shows that CUDA is not in use.

The premiere project is using the Mercury Playnack hardware acceleration, and i'm editing in h264 mode.

How can I correct this? Any ideas would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to wrinklypeter2

I find that when I start TechpowerUp it reports CUDA in use.

Not in use, but supported. It is up to the application to effectively USE it or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Ok. Point taken.

However, if CUDA is being reported as not supported in Premiere CS6 then surely this is incorrect and I need to take some action to correct this?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to wrinklypeter2

I'm not sure if that card is automatically supported or not, but have you checked the file mentioned in the "hack" message?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 4:17 AM   in reply to Lewiz

Hi Lewiz, "hovering over the CUDA checkbox a balloon pops up saying:   Supported compute capability: 2.0"

I get the same.

As for the screen grab images in post 22, that's not the full story! Those grabs were taken about 10 mins after the PC was switched on. When I play a video in VLC or run Premiere, the temp rises. Its been up to 72 C so far. The system here is a HP Z400, so I assume that HP do know what they are doing with regard to cooling.

There's no over clocking in use here. I just installed the Nvidia drivers and that was that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to Andrew_S

Sorry to appear stupid, but when I run GPUSniffer I can see the following:

GPU Computation Info

Found 1 devices supporting GPU computation

CUDA Device 0 -

Name Quadre 4000

Capability: 2

Driver: 5

Total Video Memory: 2047mb

Can I then assume that Premiere CS6 IS using (or has at least recognised!) the Quadro card?

- even though GPZ does not recognise the CUDA as being supported when Premiere is running?

P.S. I also have the 'Supported compute capability 2.0' baloon.

Thanks for any help!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points