Skip navigation
unbelievabledave
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS6 gradient mesh

Dec 5, 2012 4:37 AM

I've got two objects that I would like to apply a gradient mesh to. They're both compound paths and despite lots of mentions on the internet that you can't apply a gradient mesh to a compound path, you can. When I select one I get the option to create a gradient mesh. When I select the other I also get the option. However, no matter how I try to join the two objects (releasing compound paths, selecting everything, creating new compound path) when combined, they won't allow me to create a gradient mesh. What's weird is that even after I've done this each object still allows me to create a gradient mesh but when I select both of them together they won't. I've tried everything, pathfinder options, reversing paths etc. but nothing works. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to unbelievabledave

You don't have compound paths.

Either that or you've got the only copy of Illustrator in the world which allows meshes on compound paths. That's not an exageration. Illustrator can not create gradient meshes from compound paths. It just can't.

My guess is when you use Pathfinder, etc, you are then creating a compound path and that's why you can't apply a mesh at that point.

Without seeing the artwork it's really impossible to answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:19 AM   in reply to unbelievabledave

You could group them (Object > Group)

You could drag them both to the Symbol Panel and create a symbol out of them.

It's exceptionally difficult to provide specific answers without some visuals to show construction.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to unbelievabledave

Did you try the Unite Filter in the pathfinder?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to unbelievabledave

I honesly don't know what you mean by 'Select both and apply a gradient mesh." Meshes work on 1 object at a time. You can't work on 2 objects in unison. Or, are you referring to the Object Menu item for Gradient mesh?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points