Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble with scaling in Premiere CS5

Dec 5, 2012 5:50 AM

I recorded a 2 camera shoot in 1080p and need to crop past some heads in the shot. I made a 1080p source sequence, then brought that sequence to a dv 720x480 sequence for multicam editing for final output to dvd. I scaled the footage to 47% to fit the new 720x480 timeline. The footage looks fine at 47%, but when I scale to 90% and adjust the x,y postion as well the footage loses quite a bit of sharpness and looks  processed. Since I am not scaling past 100% I am confusesd why I am seeing a loss of sharpness.

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to m0rr1s3

That is how nested sequences work.  When you nest a sequence, you force Premiere to render the nested sequence and use the result of the render as the new source file in the parent sequence.  It's designed that way because, like After Effects, sometimes you need to be able to force a particular render order for certain combinations of effects.  You get the same results if you pre-compose a composition in AE.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to m0rr1s3

The solution is to put the clips directly into the DV sequence, without nesting.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to m0rr1s3

So should all the scaling be done in the 1080p master sequence?

No, you should not use a 1080 sequence at all.  Put the clips directly in the smaller, DV sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to m0rr1s3
    Don't I need to nest to multicam edit?

Ah, that does complicate things.  I'm not sure how to proceed.  The best I have is to fall back on my personal view on this subhect.  You do your framing when shooting, not in post.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to m0rr1s3

Yes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers