Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Brush size bug?

Dec 5, 2012 6:55 AM

For the last three versions of Photoshop the shortcut keys [ ] for brush size stops working. Why is this not fixed??? The other shortcut that shows brush size in red just sucks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to ryryn

For the last three versions of Photoshop the shortcut keys [ ] for brush size stops working.

So why don’t you assign them to »Decrease Brush Size« and »Increase Brush Size« in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to ryryn

The other shortcut that shows brush size in red just sucks.

What is this supposed to mean?

Edit: Or rather what is this referring to?

Which version of Photoshop do you use?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 5, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to ryryn

Your resistance to change is showing.

Do you realize that making negative exclamations like "just sucks" makes most folks not feel like helping you?  Attitude begets attitude.

Not sure whether you are looking for approval for your point of view, but personally I find the Alt-Right click-Drag method of resizing a brush and changing its hardness to be far superior to guessing at what the brush will be like just bylooking at its outline.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to ryryn

I work with a non-english keyboard, so the square brackets keys don’t work for me anyway and I can’t verify if the offending behaviour affects my set-up, too, but your claim that the behaviour on your and others’ computers is a Photoshop bug seems not fully convincing to me yet.

Have you registered it over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

and has it been acknowledged by Adobe?

Or is there a possibility that it is actually an issue on the OS side? Which OS anyway?

When I am forced to buy a program like CS 6 that has so many bugs, that, I don't appreciate.

How were you forced exactly?

Not that I appreciate the shortening of the upgrade path or Adobe’s not so subtle attmpts to get users to the switch to cloud licensing … but »force«?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to ryryn

Adobe has too many hoops and rings of fire to go through. I have work to do and no time to run in circles. I mean your statement "How were you forced exactly".

Please be aware that I am not an Adobe employee.

I don't have the time or patience for ridicules comments like that.

What a pity, because who will explain to me what about the question is ridiculous then?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to ryryn

Brackets have always worked for me for changing brush size. Have you searched around a bit? I have found some posts associating this behavior with pirated versions of PS. Some other posts track a problem like this to a conflict with Constant Guard by Norton. I saw nothing that indicated this is a Photoshop bug persisting for the last three versions as you state in your opening post.

If you are a subscriber to Comcast and recently downloaded Constant Guard with Norton, the problem lies in a component called GuardedID that installs with the package. Going to ControlPanel>Programs and Uninstall the Constant Guard and shortcuts will return to working normally. You are still protected by Contant Guard and Norton after removing this "buggy" component. Comcast is aware of the problem and this is their solution. It worked for our computers.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to ryryn

If you close all other apps and restart Photoshop while trashing its preferences, do the brackets work?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to ryryn

What is your OS?

Do you have a drawing tablet attached?

Or any non-standard input device, like a Logitech NuLOOQ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 6, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to ryryn

The left and right square brackets make my Photoshop CS4, CS5, and CS6 brushes smaller or larger on my Windows 7 x64 system.  I just tested.

You have something specific wrong with your computer that's blocking the keys from reaching Photoshop, or that's deconfigured the use of those keys inside Photoshop.

Whenever you'd like to embark on a specific path of debugging, we'll all probably still be here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 5:41 PM   in reply to ryryn

Try restarting the computer with no tablet attached. And launch PS with reset preferences. See if this problem appears just using the mouse input. (I would go as far as uninstalling the Wacom driver for this test. I'm not familiar with Windows, so I don't know how to advise as to uninstalling  or disabling drivers.)

C

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to ryryn

Hi Randy,

I was wondering how this was going. Glad to hear my suggestions were helpful. So now... if  the tablet is interfering, maybe updating its driver might fix it?

If a Wacom driver update seems to solve the problem, please post back in case others run into the same issue.

CB

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 10:11 PM   in reply to ryryn

I have had the same problem since, at least, CS 5.0.  ( did not upgrade to 5.5, but went directly to CS6).  The problem is not specific to Wacom tablets.  It can occur with both wireless and wired mice and, for me, has ocurred under both Win 7/64 and win 8/64.  Don't remember whether this was an issue with Vista, but I doubt that it is os-specific.  If it is an os issue, this would still be something for Adobe to resolve with the os vendor.  It is reasonable to expect CS5 and CS6 to work with Win 7 and it is reasonable to expect Photoshop CS6 to also work with Win 8.  The problem doesn't happen all the time.  In fact, it is unpredictible.  The workaround for me is to click at the top and change the brush size by dragging.  After that, the bracket keys work again, at least, until they don't.  I am not a Comcast subscriber and do not use Constant Guard or Norton.

I don't consider myself to be among the busiest users of Photoshop and believe that, if I have encountered the problem, then it is very likely that at least one other person has brought it to Adobe's attention.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to ryryn

So this was not a Photoshop bug after all?

I’ve given some though to the meaning of the verb »force« and I still can’t quite reconcile it with the your usage (edited) in post 4.

But then I’m not a native speaker of English, so some subtleties may be lost on me.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 11, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Christoph, he's used the term "force" loosely.

Basically, he's grousing because Adobe charges serious money for their software, to where it's painful (financially) to upgrade and it's even more painful to skip versions and buy a full copy.

But you're right, no one's being forced to buy this software.  That it has serious value is why people buy it for serious money.  It also has some bugs.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 11:27 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It also has some bugs.

No denying that.

But as far as I understand Adobe will only be able address their own bugs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to ryryn

That's great Randy. But can you clarify if you installed a new Wacom driver and the brushes now work? Or are you not using the tablet anymore?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to ryryn

While I share reservations regarding the Cloud License issue what about the Info Panel?

I have so far noticed no malfunction with that, could you describe a case where you get faulty read outs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 18, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

While I share reservations regarding the Cloud License issue what about the Info Panel?

I have so far noticed no malfunction with that, could you describe a case where you get faulty read outs.

I've noticed what Randy has said above myself.

Also there's some positional error...

I posted this image in another thread, but I'll repeat it here:

Note that I have the eyedropper tool set to Single Pixel sampling.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 11:48 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 2:37 AM   in reply to ryryn

ryryn, I can only agree with you as I too have found that the [ and ] tools stop working randomly and previously it seemd that only a reboot would bring them back which was a pain if you'd done work in Camera RAW and wanted to carry on in PS. I noticed the reply from c.pfaffenbichler which said why not assign them. Well as you probably did, I knew they were assigned to those keys already but in this case when it happened again, I thought i'd have a look.

As I thought the keys were already assigned but just in case I reassigned them and hey presto the ring appeared again without having to reboot.

Hope this helps.

DaVeS

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 4, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Having seen this thread pop up again, I'm surprised to see Photoshop CC hasn't corrected this obvious sampling accuracy problem!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points