Skip navigation
Carpetshrimp23
Currently Being Moderated

Make a simple "cut" edit in a singular video in CS6 (one video file as opposed to multiple clips).

Dec 5, 2012 10:59 AM

I want to be able to do simple editing in CS6. I just spent three hours watching tutorial videos and reading help articles and this forum. I have never used an Adobe video editing program before. I normally use Windows Movie Maker, but it's too simple for my current needs. (Eventually I will learn effects.)

My problem is that the tutorial videos show examples where there is more than one "clip" being placed on the timeline. That seems to pre-set editing points. I only need to import one longer video file and then cut out frames that I no longer want in the video.

I have figured out how to set start and end points on the clip, as in at the actual beginning and actual end. But following every single method described (JKL, etc), I still cannot seem to edit frames out of the middle of my videos. I assume this is because I'm missing some very simple method for setting edit points. This is what I need to know.

I am an extreme novice with this program though I'm somewhat computer savvy. So please no jargon. I know nothing of this program. I did all I could to find my own answers before asking here, but if this is answered somewhere else, please direct me there. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Carpetshrimp23

If you want edit this way, you should become familiar with the extract function.

It's explained in this Help article, however, you only need to do steps 1, 2, and 4 since you won't be pasting the frames back.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91c f0b1038518aef7-7d04a.html#WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518aef7-7cfda

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to Carpetshrimp23

With respect...I am not sure you have fully understood the tutorials you watched.

There are a number of different ways to do what you want.

Different edit methods eg edit in the source monitor with  In/Out Points

Have you viewed the Adobe Tutorials on the Adobe sites?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Carpetshrimp23

Not sure what you mean by "could not get anything to highlight" ?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to shooternz

There are many ways to perform an edit in the sequence (clip on the timeline). The most basic is probably to select the RAZOR tool and put cuts at the beginning and end of the part you want to remove, then right-click that portion of the clip and select "Ripple Delete" and that will remove that part and close the gap.

I like the Mark In/Out and Extract method myself that I think was referred to in a link, but the Razor will get you going

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Carpetshrimp23

"DEL" Key usually works as well. And of course ..real magic with Shift -Del

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to Carpetshrimp23

In PPro, there are usually a number of ways of doing anything. Which method you decide to use depends on how you like to work, and to a lesser extent on how PPro wants you to work.

It seems to me that what PPro wants you to do in this situation is to drag your source file into the source monitor. Then, set your in and out points for the first bit of footage you want to use. Click on it in the source monitor, and drag it to the timeline. Then return to the source monitor, and set new in and out points for the next bit of footage you want to use. Drag and drop to the timeline. Keep doing this until you get all the clips on the timeline that you want.

You can then use the editing tools to fine tune your footage on the timeline.

There are, of course, many other ways to do it. This is just one.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to Carpetshrimp23

Carpetshrimp23 wrote:

That actually seems a lot more in line with what the tutorials start with. In the tutorials they use multiple small clips to start & in your method I would create the clips from my video. Makes sense.

Yes, this is the standard way most of us were taught to edit. Especially if you have multiple clips in the Project. Since you have only one, I would rather make the cuts in the Timeline using Extract. Anyone still using the Razor tool to make add edits and then deleting between cuts is working in a less efficient way.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to Carpetshrimp23

I'm in a similar boat -- editing family video recorded on Hi8 and captured into DV with a Canopus ADVC-300. I typically have a 2 hour clip in the timeline.  I'm separating these into clips with the razor tool, but sometimes I want to remove a garbled few seconds from within a clip.

Today I discovered something nifty: in Keyboard options, there are two items that don't have a key assigned:

• Application->Ripple Delete->Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead
    • Application->Ripple Delete->Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead

I assigned these to the Shift+] and Shift+[ keys.   Premiere didn't warn me about these keys being assigned already, so I guess it's ok.  At first, I used '}' and '{' but I'm afraid that it is too easy to accidently hit them.

When I play back in the timeline, at the start of the garbled area I want to remove, I hit Ctrl+K to add an edit point (the "out point", I suppose). Then I continue playing.   When I reach where I want the video to resume, I just press Shift+[ and Premiere ripple-deletes to the edit point.

This does leave me with an edit point, though.  I have yet to figure out how to splice the two clips together again.

I'm sure the pros won't like this, but I find it makes things easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to ZimFromIRK

You dont have to "splice them together" again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to shooternz

Yep, I know. But I'm going to archive the Premiere project files with the DV video on BluRay and it would be nice if all the edit points all meant something if I come back to these in a few years.    Then again, since I confirmed that DV export doesn't re-encode unchanged frame, I may just archive clips instead of entire tapes and then it doesn't matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to ZimFromIRK

Good, because there is no way to splice them together again without exporting. Sorry. Not enough people would use that particular workflow to generate any interest on the part of Adobe to create a special glue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points