Skip navigation
StephenMehrer
Currently Being Moderated

Saving in PNG is making quality significantly worse than original image.

Dec 5, 2012 12:00 PM

Tags: #photoshop #transparent #png #saving #quality #cs6 #lossless

I made a PNG logo transparent, and when I go to save the new transparent logo in PNG format, the quality has dropped significantly from the original. I have done nothing other than delete the background of the logo, why is this happening in a lossless format? What can I do to fix this or increase the quality of the transparent logo?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to StephenMehrer

Can you post an example of the before/after logo?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to StephenMehrer

OK. The first one is not transparent, and I assume it is a flattened image? So when you "delete the background" you are sill picking up some of the white (gray) in the anti-aliased edge of the text. Do you have an original file (layered) to work from? That has the logo on its own layer? Preferably a Text or Vector layer?  This is not a PNG issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to StephenMehrer

Not a perfect solution, but once you delete the background from the first one, go Layer > Matting > Defringe (or Remove White Matte. which ever looks best). Then Save For Web as a PNG 24.

But, ideally, you would want to reconstruct it as a vector file separate from a background.

Is there a way I can recreate it on my own?

If you know the font, it should be easy to build. I don't know if the "tr" ligature is a glyph, or if it was made specifically for this logo.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:25 PM   in reply to StephenMehrer

StephenMehrer wrote:

The first one isn't supposed to be transparent, I was attempting to make it transparent

One way is to simply use the B&W image, inverted, as a mask for a solid black layer then export that layer to PNG with transparency.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to StephenMehrer

I think the problem is with how you're making it transparent. Are you using the magic wand, by any chance? If you floated a black layer under your layer with the background deleted, you'll see that you have white fringes around the text and that's what's showing up in Premiere.

What I would do to make your floating text is create a new layer and make it a solid color. Then give it a layer mask and copy the original image into the layer mask and finally invert the layer mask. This should give you perfect edges.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to fnordware

7 == 6 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to StephenMehrer

What i did (which is one of many ways) is:

load the selection of the blue channel (ctrl or cmd click on the channel thumbnail) (on this image a selection of the red or green channel works as well)

invert the selection

add a layer mask

apply the layer mask

Layer>Matting>Remove White Matte

Untitled-4.png

(click on the png below to see it as transparent)

Untitled-3.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

If you had added the mask-from-selection to a solid black layer (as in posts 6 and 7) instead of to a copy of the B&W layer, then nothing would have needed to be defringed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points