Skip navigation
LoganBlack88
Currently Being Moderated

narrator voice effect - deepen and age an audio track

Dec 5, 2012 12:16 PM

For a class project I'm working on, I'm looking to deepen my voice and give it a gravely quality to emulate the stereotypical political attack ad narrator we've all heard too much of (deep, dry, aged).

(Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1D1jI61ckY )

I have some audio tracks of myself recorded in Adobe Premiere, and I was hoping someone could give me some simple tips on how to deepen and age my voice some, and give it that sort of dry quality. I don't need a step by step, just some off the top of your head advice on what filters and tools I could look into using would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for anything near perfect, just an improvement.

I have access to the full CS6 suite, if better programs exist to do such editing in.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to LoganBlack88

People have asked about this before, and whilst the basic things are pretty obvious, it has to be said at the outset that no treatment at all beats (or even gets close to) the real thing... which you achieve by smoking strong ciggies, drinking a lot of cheap bourbon or vodka - and not sleeping much. Or by being lucky, and born with that sort of voice!

So if you're not up for that, your only options are to pitch-shift your voice down (probably 5-10%) without altering the speed, and adding some distortion. The distortion is the subtle bit - you have to experiment with this quite a bit, because the amount and quality is completely voice-dependant. You will probably also find that a little EQ to soften the higher frequencies will help. Oh, and you do all of this in Audition, not Premiere.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points