Skip navigation
Rufo9010
Currently Being Moderated

Old externalvdrives stored in Lightroom 4

Dec 5, 2012 1:15 PM

Tags: #library

I have a number of old external drives in "My Folders" lightroom thinks are still active mostly because the computer has assigned a new drive letter to the same drive several times. I would like to delete these from Lightroom and assign a new letter to the current drive I am using, Any ideas how to remove the old drives?

Barry

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Rufo9010

I just tried this, and it worked.  My Lightroom was displaying a drive that I no longer have.  There were folders showing on that drive.  I highlighted all of those folders, right clicked, and chose to remove them.  Once all of the folders were removed to drive disappeared.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to JimHess

This is only advisable if you really no longer have the images contained in those folders!

If they are somewhere, just not at this drive, you should relink them to their present storage location, otherwise you will loose all LR knowledge about them.

If just the drive letter has changed, you should display the highest parent folder on that drive, and relink it to the current letter.

Assigning a letter from the second half of the alphabet, and a different one per drive, makes this need less frequent.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to Rufo9010

No !

You will loose your LR work in doing so!

Just update the folder location of the drive, which is not kniwn to LR as W.

If you delete and reimport, you throw all LR records about your images away and create new ones during new import. You start from scratch, reading what is in the image.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to Rufo9010

I have a little different grasp of what you are doing than I did previously.  I understood that you didn't have the drives OR the images.  I guess that was a bad assumption on my part.  If you have moved those images to another drive or drive letter, the best thing to do is as Cornelia has suggested.  Just search for the missing folder, and show Lightroom where the images are now.  By doing that, you will retain all of the adjustments that you have made to those files.

After you have found all of the missing folders, and Lightroom isn't looking for images on that old drive anymore, the drive will simply disappear from your folder list.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points