Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Requested Feature

Dec 5, 2012 1:37 PM

Option to have the "Show Options" dialog when placing files "Always On".

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to PBR PRINT

The checkbox is sticky, so should remain checked until you turn it off, but many experienced users prefer to leave it off and hold the Shift key when the click OK to show the options on those occasions when they need them.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to PBR PRINT

As I said, the check box is sticky. Once checked it should stay on, and if it doesn't you probably need to trash the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

If you want to make an official feature request you can fill out the form at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to PBR PRINT

What’s the difference where you check it?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to PBR PRINT

PBR PRINT wrote:

I was told by a rep to come here and post for feature requests.

Sadly, the person you spoke to gave you bad information. We have a dedicated feature requests forum, but it too is really only a place to discuss new features that users would like to see. The only official way to file a request is withthe online form I linked above.

I'm going to go back and say one more time, though, that if you check that box, you will see import options until someone unchecks it whe ID is operating as designed. If you are not seeing the options it means somebody deliberately turned them off, just as they could do if there were a check box in the prefs, or you need to replace the prefs because they have become corrupt, or possibly you have some other bit of software, possibly a third paty plugin, that is interfering with proper operation.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to PBR PRINT

Then the rep told you something incorrect. The feature request is at Peter's link. Adobe personnel may or may not ever see this thread.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 5, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'm going to go back and say one more time, though, that if you check that box, you will see import options until someone unchecks it whe ID is operating as designed.

It looks like it's sticky until you quit ID, then it reverts back to unchecked on the next launch. I think it could be scripted to always be on.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to PBR PRINT

If you go fill out a feature request, I'll be right behind you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Rob Day wrote:

It looks like it's sticky until you quit ID, then it reverts back to unchecked on the next launch. I think it could be scripted to always be on.

Well I'm sorry for sounding so adamant. I just checked and you're absolutley correct. I wonder why that one resets, but the crop options don't.

My sincere apologies to PBR Print.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to PBR PRINT

This is not the place to post a feature request. This is: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I suggest that you have a very valid reason that will benefit all users and that you state it clearly if you want it to get any attention.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 5:13 PM   in reply to PBR PRINT

Hah. CS5.5 doesn't leave it sticky either. I have been simply pressing shift when placing images.

The "sticky" nature must have stopped with CS4. If I recall properly (now that is suspect...) one could simply double-click on a file in the Place dialog and if the show options was not checked, one would still get the options dialog. But I don't have CS4 available anymore. Wonder why the change?

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,116 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Dec 6, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to PBR PRINT

It is scriptable. Something like this AppleScript could be assigned the Place key command:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

set s to selection

if s is not {} then

set myFile to (choose file with prompt "Please select a file to place") as alias

try

place myFile on s with showing options

end try

else

display dialog "Please make a selection before placing"

end if

end tell

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)