Skip navigation
MaddyKircher
Currently Being Moderated

Child topics not appearing when clicked in parent project

Dec 5, 2012 2:24 PM

Tags: #9

Hello,

I have generated a Webhelp parent project containing two child projects in RoboHelp 9. The tables of contents appear for all projects correctly, but when I click some of the topics, they will not display, rather I get that message that my webpage cannot be found. Most of the topics work fine when clicked.

If it helps, it seems that the topics that won't display are ones that are new or have recent edits.

I've tried regenerating my projects and re-creating the TOCs, but I am not sure what else I can try. When I generate the child projects on their own, all topics work fine, it is only when merged as a child project in the main project that the topics won't show.

Thanks,

Maddy

Replies
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Dec 6, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to MaddyKircher

Hi Maddy and welcome to the RH forums.

Can you start by telling us what type of output you are creating. It sounds like it is WebHelp but we need to be sure.

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Dec 6, 2012 3:59 AM   in reply to MaddyKircher

Can you start by checking the location of your generated output for the topic files. Do you see the topic files you changed there? If so, check that the TOC is pointing to the correct topics inside your project.

Also can you confirm whether there are topics that were already in one of the merged child projects (i.e. they were not changed) that when you click on them in the TOC do open the correct topic?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2012 1:43 AM   in reply to MaddyKircher

Agh! You are trying to create a merge within a merge. Merged help is a single parent family!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Dec 7, 2012 2:56 AM   in reply to MaddyKircher

Peter is asking whether you are merging a project in a project that is itself merged as part of another project. Merging only works with teo levels. For example Project A is a parent into which Projects B - D are merged. You can not have Project A into which is merged Projects B and C and Project D merged into Project C.

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Dec 7, 2012 3:37 AM   in reply to MaddyKircher

OK but in your precious response you mention generating project GP as both a parent AND a child. Can you check your previous post and outline exactly what you are doing. Also you say you tried to move the topics that weren't appearing but found you got an error. Where were you moving them from and to. It would be really helpful if you could post an image or two of what you are seeing and doing to help us along.

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Dec 7, 2012 4:22 AM   in reply to MaddyKircher

I am wondering if this is an access issue. The fact that you can't even copy / paste files into the publish location would seemto explain why the files are not put there when you publish. Get someone to check the access you have and try again.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points