Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Where are the Image Settings?

Dec 5, 2012 3:45 PM

Tags: #actions #camera_raw #batch_processing #image_processing #image_settings

In Adobe's Bridge Reference, it says, "Here are some tips for automating the processing of camera raw image files:

When you record an action, first select Image Settings from the Camera Raw Settings menu [icon appears here] in the Camera Raw dialog box. In this way, the settings particular to each image (from the Camera Raw database or sidecar XMP files) are used to play back the action."

Problem is, I cannot find the Camera Raw Settings menu anywhere in the Camera Raw dialog box, and I cannot find anywhere in the documentation where it tells you how to do what they're recommending here. I'm confused as to whether the action recording takes place in Photoshop (most likely), Bridge, Camera Raw, or the Image Processor. I was under the impression that, of these four, actions can only be created in Photoshop, but now I'm not so sure, since this paragraph says that while the action is being recorded it has to be selected from the Camera Raw dialog box. WHERE DOES ONE FIND "Image Settings" IN THE CAMERA RAW DIALOG BOX?

Edit: Actually, I found the Image Settings selection, but it is still unclear how I can incorporate it into an action. Can I invoke the Camera Raw dialog box while recording an action? if so, how?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 8:17 PM   in reply to pixelboss

Another option is:

To batch Camera Raw settings with multiple files, it works slightly different. You are going to want to go through Apply Camera Raw Settings.

The following file explains, as well tells you how to record an action:

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/ps_workflow_sec4.pdf

If you have any questions, please post here.

janelle

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to pixelboss

pixelboss wrote:

Can I invoke the Camera Raw dialog box while recording an action? if so, how?

In Photoshop, start recording, do File > Open, choose a raw file and click Open button.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to pixelboss

pixelboss wrote:

[...] I record the action this way, won't my automation process be using an action that opens A PARTICULAR image file?

The file specified to be opened in an Action can be overriden by each file processed in a batch. In Batch dialog, choose a folder of input files and enable "Override Action Open commands".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to pixelboss

pixelboss wrote:

[...] So how would this be helpful for setting up a batch that would ensure "the settings particular to each image (from the Camera Raw database or sidecar XMP files) are used to play back the action"?

I can understand your puzzlement because the instructions appear not to do what they claim to do. The instructions will create an Action which applies the specific Camera Raw settings that belonged to the file that was opened when recording the Action. These settings will be applied to all files in a batch instead of each file's own settings.

If you record an Action without an initial Open command (i.e. record the steps after already opening a file into Photoshop) then each raw file in a Batch utilising that Action will have its own settings applied. In the case of an Action with no Open command, be sure to disable "Override Action Open commands" in the Batch dialog, otherwise no files will be opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to conroy

Record an Action after opening a file into Photoshop, so the Action contains no Open command but it does contain Save and Close.

Screen shot 2012-12-09 at 22.49.08.png

Run the Action in a Batch with disabled 'Override Action "Open" Commands' and enabled 'Override Action "Save As" Commands'.

Screen shot 2012-12-09 at 22.51.10.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points