Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Slow down animated gif

Dec 5, 2012 3:21 PM

Tags: #animated #gifs

I created an animated gif in Fireworks with 7 states. I set the properties state delay to 15 for all states, I also try 30 state delay for all states. When I preview in Fireworks, it's works. Then after I export it and open it in Firefox, Safari or mail programs everything gets ignored and the animation zooms through. Any idea how to slow down?

Would increasing the states help? Or using Photoshop instead work better? Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to bluellipse

I just tried a quick test of a 4-state animated GIF in Firefox and Safari, and both browsers respected the state delay.

Have you tried using File > Image Preview to export the GIF, and checking or setting the timing within the Animation options? Keep in mind that the units are 100th of a second, so 15/100 will be just over 6 frames per second, and 30/100 will be just over 3 frames per second.

Animation options.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to bluellipse

Look again. The Animation options are on the left side of the Image Preview dialog:

Image Preview.png

Also, from within the States panel fly-out menu, try choosing Properties... and check that the “Include when exporting” option has been selected.

Properties from States fly-out menu.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to bluellipse

Are you on a Mac? If so, you can use Preview to view the GIF's contents. Inside Preview, choose Tools > Show Inspector (Command-I), then select the More Info and GIF tabs. From here, you can view the delay time for each individual frame, if one has been specified.

Inspector panel in Preview.png

Incidentally, the pink character is a graphic (by Cory Thoman) from this tutorial on creating animated GIFs inside Photoshop's Image Ready: http://www.illustrationinfo.com/2008/09/12/create-animated-gifs-in-ima geready/

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to bluellipse

No idea at all. If the state delay has been set at 20/100ths in Fireworks, it should appear in Preview as .20 for each frame.

My main suggestion is to make sure you've selected all frames when applying the state delay, as each is set individually. That, and you could try setting a larger value (e.g., 58/100ths) in Fireworks and see if that changes the value in Preview, to something closer to what you're aiming for.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 9:16 PM   in reply to bluellipse

I'm not sure about the use of slices in conjuction with the creation and exporting of an animated GIF, as slices are primarily intended for use in creating HTML layouts. Instead, I'd use the Crop tool at the outset to adjust the boundaries of the graphic. Alternatively, the Image Preview dialog includes some nice Export Area options (under the File subheading).

I suppose slices could be used to generate smaller sub-graphics in a larger image animation... Whatever works, I guess.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points