Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 11 - Trying to Use "Open With" not working right

Dec 5, 2012 3:42 PM

Hi - I just bought PSE 11 and have installed it on my computer.  I am trying to right click on a file and use the "Open With" option to open the jpg in the program.  However, the program opens but not the photo.  I can open files within the program by going to "File - Open" just fine.  The program that is on the "Open With" list isn't the right one (it's Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 rather than PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe).  However, when I try to browse to and select the correct file it doesn't show up when I get back to the "Open With" screen.  I've tried uninstall and reinstall.  I've also tried using the program on another user and it works fine there but I don't want to switch all of my info to another user just to open photos.  Photos open just fine in PSE 9 with the "Open With" method.  Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.  Thanks.

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 5, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to niagara94

Right click on a jpeg file in one of your folders and choose Open With

Click Choose default program

Click Browse button

Click OS C:

Double click: Program Files (x86) or Program Files on 32 bit system

Double click: Adobe

Double click: Photoshop Elements 11 (or your version number)

Choose (highlight): PhotoshopElementsEditor

Click Open

Click OK

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 8:08 PM   in reply to niagara94

Make sure you are choosing the actual editor file. In windows 7, this one:

windows editor.png

In XP it will show the .exe file extension.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to niagara94

Can you please explain the following file in a little detail. What happens when you try browsing for PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

niagara94 wrote:

However, when I try to browse to and select the correct file it doesn't show up when I get back to the "Open With" screen.

Also as you mentioned, you have PSE11 and PSE9 installed. Do you have any other version of PSE installed on your system. Also which version that you installed most recently?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 6, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to niagara94

Go to the Editor application in the programs or programs (x86) folder and right-click on it and choose properties. Select the security tab and make sure you have full permissions with read/write capability.

PermissionPSE11.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to niagara94

I have multiple PSE version installed on my system and whenever I choose PSE11 exe, the open with menu instead shows me older PSE version. I thus believe it is something to do with the registry keys.

Can you try uninstalling PSE11 and then installing it again so that your registeries point to your PSE11 application

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points