Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

External hard drive as primary media drive?

Dec 5, 2012 5:15 PM

Tags: #external_hdd

Hi,

Since I'm running on a low spec laptop with a 5400 RPM drive 750G HDD (partition to 150G system drive and 600G media drive) , I'm thinking to add an external hard drive shortly even though I still have plenty of empty space on both drive, but just for the future as the footage eats space quite quick.

The option on my mind is to build a 2TB external hard drive with a 7200RPM speed disk such as WD Caviar Enterprise 3.5 inch RE4 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA II or a Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Drive ST2000DM001 + enclosure with USB3.0 interface.

Once built will this 7200RPM external drive be a better primary media drive than my internal 5400RPM one? I mean storing all my media files for the PP or AE workflow? or the USB3.0 transfer rate is still not as good as an internal drive where it could impact on the overall performance?

And is there any settings that I need to pay particular attention to?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to nngn

Does your Laptop have a USB 3.0 port?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to nngn

>partition to 150G system drive and 600G media drive

As well as 5400 rpm drive being a limiting factor, there has been a report of partition crashes

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

So, yes, a fast external is very likely going to be better for video files

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 1:21 AM   in reply to nngn

Using eSATA is your best option. USB3 is second choice. Those disks you mentioned will achieve sustained transfer rates of about 140 - 150 MB/s over eSATA and around 100 - 110 over USB3. In comparison, the partitioned internal drive will not even reach 100 MB/s.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to nngn

I am running an esata external raid . PrP and AE have no problem locating the files. Its a good idea to keep all your media and cache (PrP and AE)  and preview folders on that driver for best performance.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to nngn

I recently switched to a PC. I got it optimized by the very smart folks at ADK (Eric). He created folders  for Caches ( that took both PrP and AE Media and Data cache files).  He then configured PrP and AE to use these files.

When you start up PrP you can tell it where you want your preview files and captured files as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to nngn

To add my experience for your faith: I run PPro and AE on an i7. All my projects, media cache files and video files are stored on an external 2Tb Samsung (7200 rpm) with USB 3.0 without any problem. I can move this drive to every machine I own and continue my work. One think to keep in mind: make sure that your external HD on all those machines have the same drive letter. If not, PPro wil ask every time it opens your project where your files are.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:37 PM   in reply to nngn

I use E-SATA on a daily basis as well. I am running a RAID-5 array with 4 7200RPM 1TB HDD's. It works wonderfully with Premiere. I use the external RAID array for all my footage and editing elements like graphics etc. and I don't ever have any issues.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points