Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Organizer PSE10 crashes all the time - tried a number of tips from here but giving up.

Dec 5, 2012 11:27 PM

I have a W7 64 bit system with quad core and 6gb ram.  I also run Lightroom 3 with the latest updates.

I have Premiere Elements 10 both for video and photos and have had it for more than a year.  It never worked well and has either been slow or crashed from the beginning.  I am thinking this Adobe product is a very bad choice for video since in prior times I have had Elements for only photos.

Today, when I start everything up, the Organizer stops working and the program needs to be killed.  Basically I can never use this. 

I have tried multiple re-installs using both the 32 bit and 64 bit discs.  I have selected to start with new preferences each time.  I also have used the ctrl/alt/shift trick and have manually selected to start with new preferences.  As soon as I point the Organizer to a directory that has either video or still files, the program stops working and needs to be killed.

I have come to realize that Adobe is too big of a company to care about the smaller consumer who uses these products.  Why pay for a program like this at about $90 that does nothing at all for me, when Picasa handles this stuff just fine?  You can tell this because there is a real absence of responses here by Adobe employees who could really help.

Anyone else out there stuck with this software and has had the same issues and come to some resolution?  Your assistance would be valued greatly.  Thank you

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 6, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to piolet_rampe

Try making a direct shortcut for the Organizer and Editor. Make sure you have the correct file path as there is more than one exe file. You can then launch the programs directly from the desktop bypassing the welcome screen. This is generally better as the welcome screen leaves background processes running.

Right click anywhere on the desktop and select New >> Shortcut

Then click the browse button and navigate to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 10 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe"

Then click Next; then click Finish

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 6, 2012 6:24 AM   in reply to piolet_rampe

The Organizer preferences may have become corrupted, needing to be automatically re-built on a re-start.

Close Elements.

Click the Start Button and then your user name (in place of mine) and navigate to:

C: Users >> 99Jon >> AppData >> Roaming >> Adobe >> Elements Organizer >>10.0 >> Organizer

Delete the PSA file (with key symbol) and delete Status.dat

After deleting these two files re-start the program

AppData may be a hidden system file. See the link to reveal hidden files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 6, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to piolet_rampe

Why are you not using Lightroom as your primary file manager with the PSE Editor set up in Lightroom preferences for external editing.

Have you tried selecting a thumbnail in the Library and presing Ctrl+E?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 7, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to piolet_rampe

OK I can understand using Organizer for video as the auto-analyzer enables the use of the smart tools for audio and vision in Premiere Elements.

Are you able to launch the Organizer successfully from Premiere? Try launching Premiere Elements and testing from a blank canvas by selecting New Project and choosing a name like Test. Then Click Get Media >> Elements Organizer

Let us know if that makes any difference.

The only other suggestion is to start a new catalog for your video files

File >> Catalog >> New

If you have a very large catalog of stills in Lightroom, avoiding duplication in PSE would make running the smaller Organizer catalog more efficient.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 2, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to piolet_rampe

I have similar problems, but with PSE11. The editor launches when I access it directly, but organizer starts up for five seconds, then quits automatically. No error messages. The welcome screen never launches. The PSA and Status.dat files do not exist at all. I have had these problems since I upgraded from PSE10 in early October last year, so this has been a great disappointment. The program has been uninstalled and reinstalled several times from the DVD. I still run PSE10, which works in a way. The organizer only launches once, if I quit I have to reboot before launching it again. There must be something fundamentally wrong in the program giving so many users serious problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to piolet_rampe

Have you tried Adobe Creative suite cleaner tool. It works well with PSE. Here is the link: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2013 11:42 PM   in reply to Andromeda14

I have not tried the Cleaner Tool. If I run the program and want to clean my PSE11 installation, will the PSE10 installation and the catalog remain intact, or will all PSE versions and catalogs be uninstalled? Øivind

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points