Skip navigation
cticompserv
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 highjacks file associations

Dec 6, 2012 8:40 AM

Tags: #cs5 #cs6 #file_associations

My company is transitioning to Adobe CS6 on our Macs but we still want CS5 as the default.  We discovered that we cannot change the global default back to CS5 in the OS.  We can only change it on a per-file basis.

If we right-click on an INDD file and get info we are given the option to open all INDD files in CS5 but it doesn't actually change it and keeps it at CS6.

Has anyone found a way to do this?

Kent

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to cticompserv

Check out Rorohiko's Soxy software as a method to do this. Mac automatically uses the most recent version of the software as the default. No way to change it except as above.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to cticompserv

It is the Mac OS and not CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Just seconding what Larry said: It's a Mac OS thing, not InDesign. If you launch CS5 before opening a document, it should open CS5 documents in CS5. However, if no versions are running when you double-click it, it will launch the most recent version.

The safest way is to right-click on a file and choose the version you want to open it with, or open it through InDesign's File > Open menu. I haven't used Soxy, but I've heard several people recommend it to get around exactly this limitation of the OS. If you're routinely working with files of different versions, it might be worth the small investment.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I run CS3 and CS5. CS3 Is the workhorse and I only use CS5 when I need to.

If I double click on a file it will open (or try to open) with whichever version I have launched or if Indd is not launched, it will ALWAYS lauch the latest version of the software. I do not have both versions launched at the same time because I have had MAJOR problems doing that. For 2 years if I launch them seperately I have not had problems.

When I right click on a file I have the choice of opening with: CS5, CS3 and even CS2 which I have not used in years.

I believe Larry G is correct. The OS causes the latest version to be the default and this choice must be overridden when you open the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to cticompserv

Right click the file and choose to open with CS5 and click Change all below the Open with menu, the same thing do for all type of extensions like "eps, pdf, indd, psd".

This will make your default apps

I think this will work.

Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 15.59.17.png

david

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to cticompserv

This is not a Mac thing, it's a Adobe CS6 thing. The applications in CS6 hoggs the file association from every other version of the applications that's installed be it CS 5 or CC. These are the _only_ applications on the plattform that seems to disable the global setting for file association. This havn't been an issue before, it's new to CS6 and it's apparently fixed in CC since it can't ovveride CS6s global setting either.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to Stendahls

Actually, it has happened since the beginning. Not just CS6. It's a normal mode of operation. I would try Soxy from Rorohiko as suggested above. Works great.

Cheers!

-Mikey

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points