Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Opens 8bit TIFF files as Camera Raw

Dec 6, 2012 8:25 AM

Tags: #tiff #acr

My normal workflow consists of opening RAW files in ACR, making adjustments, then moving on to Photoshop where I apply retouching and build clipping paths. I then save the file as an 8bit TIFF. I rarely reopen these 8bit TIFFs again, but when I did so recently what I encountered was not what I expected.

My Photoshop (CS6) is opening 8bit TIFF files as Camera Raw when selected by "right click" followed by "Open with Photoshop CS6". I remember being able to open 8bit TIFF files directly in Photoshop, but I think this change has occurred since installing CS6.

Again, files in question began as 16bit Raw files, but were worked on in Photoshop CS6 (retouching) and saved with clipping paths. This would reduce them to 8bit files. When placed in page layout, clipping paths work properly, confirming that paths are intact.

When I want to open the files again - say from Bridge or a Finder window - by the method "right click - Open with Photoshop CS6", the file is opened first in Camera Raw, and then in Photoshop, and the path(s) is missing.

I can open these TIFF files and access Paths but only if I locate and select the file from within Photoshop (File/ Open.../). The Open window gives "Format" as Camera Raw (which it isn't, having been saved as 8bit file). If I override  format to "TIFF", the file opens with clipping path shown.

What might be going on here and how can I correct it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to DaleH

Not sure if this could be it, but have you checked

Photoshop > Preferences > Camera Raw > JPEG and TIFF Handling

?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to DaleH

Again, files in question began as 16bit Raw files, but were worked on in Photoshop CS6 (retouching) and saved with clipping paths. This would reduce them to 8bit files.

Did you set the Bit Depth in ACR or change it manually in Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to DaleH

DaleH wrote:

I set the preference to automatically open JPEGs and TIFFs with settings.

That's the reason for Adobe Camera Raw being automatically used to open TIFFs which were previously sent from ACR to Photoshop. The TIFFs have ACR settings because they originated as images generated from raw files by ACR. If you don't want ACR to be invoked when opening such files by a right-click then set the preference to "Disable TIFF support".

DaleH wrote:

I didn't manually set the bit depth.

When I saved the file with a clipping path it automatically dropped down to 8bit.

That's not happening here with CS6. 16 bits per channel are maintained when saving TIFF from Ps, regardless of there being a clipping path. Are you certain that the ACR workflow options definitely said 16-bit, as shown below, when ACR initially generated the images from raw and passed them to Ps?

Screen shot 2012-12-06 at 18.50.05.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to conroy

That's not happening here with CS6. 16 bits per channel are maintained when saving TIFF from Ps, regardless of there being a clipping path.

Same here.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to DaleH

>I don't remember having to do this with CS5.

I believe the defaults were changed.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points