Skip navigation
MSchoaf384756
Currently Being Moderated

Need help with chapters and playback for Blu-Ray Encore CS6

Dec 6, 2012 9:06 AM

I've done all the digging I can find but can't come up with the best solution for my situation.

Overview of project:

We filmed an awards evening with an emcee and multiple speakers. Also part of the evening was a video introduction to the last award winner. We are trying to produce a Blu-Ray highlighting each winners speech.

Assets:

- Main Menu (links to 3 sub-menus and a Play All)

- Menu 1 (links to 2 individual's speeches)

- Menu 2 (Links to 2 individuals speeches)

- Menu 3 (Links to 5 individual speeches as well as a link to Menu 4)

- Menu 4 (Links to 5 individual speeches as well as link to Menu 3)

- Video/audio files (mkv/wav) include one for most of the ceremony, one for video introduction, one for final speech and closing

I have put all videos on the same timeline with chapter points for each award winner. Originally I had set end actions for each chapter point to play the following chapter. All navigation worked perfectly, but, as I have seen others post, there was a delay between each chapter if the Play All option was used.

I removed end actions from all chapter points, but kept the override attribute on the menu buttons. The video plays seemlessly from one chapter to the next. The individual speeches worked in preview mode if I clicked the end action icon it would return to the menu, but if the entire chapter was allowed to play, it would move into the next chapter as if the override did not exist. I'm thinking there can be no override if there is no existing end action to actually override.

I have seen discussions on chapter playlists, and I've tried to implement them with no luck either. Do I need to set up 14 individual chapter playlists to use if someone wants to only see one persons's speech?

So...if any of this makes any sense, please let me know if I can get the result I'm looking for with the way I currently have things set up. Or I possibly need better clarification on how to implement chapter point...

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to MSchoaf384756

I have not tested all the options in CS6.

Yes, now that CS6 has a chapter playlist, that option involves creating a single chapter playlist for each chapter that you want to play by itself.

For your project, I would not put all the videos on the same timeline. The play all will be a playlist of all the individual timelines (one "chapter" video per timeline). The only disadvantage is the possibility that you would get a brief delay between chapters in the play all, but from what you describe, that could be handled in editing. These delay vary by player, and may not be present.

Something does sound odd about the overrides.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to MSchoaf384756

So I understand, you left them all on one timeline? Looking forward to your results either way.

I implemented individual playlists for each speech and a complete chapter playlist for the play all button.

Did  you mean the opposite? CHAPTER PLAYLIST for each speech and a (nonchapter) PLAYLIST for the play all? A little confused on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to MSchoaf384756

If you have one timeline, the play all is most simply a button link to that timeline. In the alternate scenario, where each winner (and an intro, and whatever else) are on separate timelines, a playlist (nonchapter) can be used for the play all (or any other combination).

I think we are on the same page, but it bears repeating: a "Chapter Playlist" is composed of chapters from only one timeline. A "Playlist" is composed of timelines and/or slideshows and/or other playlists or chapter playlists.

You seem to be fine, but an alternative for your situation that avoids multiple videos on one timeline would be 3 timelines, one for each m2v. The play all would be a playlist with the 3 timelines. The chapters would be (single chapter) chapter playlists (as you now have) - but some chapters are from different timelines. No advantage or disadvantage there.

In some cases, videos do not play well together on the same timeline. I think this is most often because the associated audio has problems when butted to other audio.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points