Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Text Wrap Contour made from Alpha Channel too loose

Dec 6, 2012 9:16 AM

Hello!

When using Alpha Channel Contour Option in Text Wrap, the resulting contour is much too loose - it eats into an image, the text wraps around the object showing too great differences of distance from the image borders (see image).

Is there any preference or anything I can do for the contour to follow the image more closely - similar to Tolerance setting in Clipping Mask option - which is not the perfect workaround in itself.

Currently the only workaround I know of is to make a path from selection made from transparency in Photoshop which, ideally, I would like to avoid.

Thank you!

m.wrap_distaster.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to witkacy

It looks to me like the image subject and "Alpha 1" aren't in direct alignment. That's not a shortcoming of the feature, but rather a physical attribute of your image file. As such, there's really no need of a "workaround." To get a more accurate text wrap, try these options, (one or another might work better to your liking depending on other physical attributes of your image):

1. Choose Transparency from the Contour Options Alpha menu.

2. Choose Detect Edges from the Contour Options Type menu.

3. Go back to Photoshop and make a transparency-based selection as the basis for a new, more accurate alpha channel.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to witkacy

I have to say I think there's something hinky with your alpha channel, and I think it has to do with how the image was extracted and what's left behind. That sure looks like a shadow behind her arm and hand, but there's no shadow behind her head or dress...

In Photoshop, if you select that channel and convert it to a path, does it really fall completely outside the figure?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to witkacy

I think there's something hinky with your alpha channel

I agree.

The Alpha 1 was a direct copy of a transparency in Photoshop.

That doesn't mean it offers a good basis for your text wrap. A Peter alludes, it depends on how effectively the transparency in the .PSD was achieved. There may be pixels that are more or less transpaent than they appear on screen.

The problem happens with any image...

You may be jumping to a conclusion there. If that is indeed the case, there could be something unique wrong with your installation that isn't a widespread bug or other known issue that others can readily address. You show a good representation of the problem with this image. Can you show it with another...like one that contains only a solid-filled shape?

2. Choose Detect Edges from the Contour Options Type menu.

Did you try that? Just asking because you didn't mention it specifically.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to witkacy

It may have to do with the settings in the Clipping Path, dialog, however. Can you show us those?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to witkacy

OK, I decided I should try this at home, so to speak, since I have a couple of transparent images I've been working with near at hand.

I'm getting similar results to yours, which is frightening. It seems not to matter, either, whether I use the transparency channel, or one I made specifically by selecting the tranparent area.  This is probably why I never use alpha channels for text wrap....

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to witkacy

witkacy wrote:

Thank you, Peter! I will wait for your results (if you decide to share them).

Try this at home was a figure of speech. I did check it out, and my reults were the same as yours. I checked in CS6 and CS4, just for good measure, and the problem is not new. You can file a bug at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form but don't hold your breath waiting for the behavior to change. I have a feeling this is "as designed" and alpha channels just don't work very well.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'm getting similar results to yours, which is frightening.

Now that I've tried it a few different ways, I've confirmed it as well. It's possible I never noticed it because as soon as I set the offset to just about anything greater than zero, (and I pretty much always do), the wrap boundary seems to "clean up" somewhat, and the offset alleviates the image encroachment, as one would expect.

You may be jumping to a conclusion there. If that is indeed the case, there could be something unique wrong with your installation that isn't a widespread bug...

Or maybe it was I who jumped.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points