Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HTML5 predefined CSS layout incomplete

Dec 6, 2012 9:55 AM

Tags: #css #html5 #cs6

I have Dreamweaver CS6 installed on Windows 7 x64.

Both HTML5 predefined layouts appear to be incomplete. For example they use <ul class="nav"> instead of <nav>

Anyone know if there are updated versions available?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to JimmyGG

<nav> isn't a required tag in html5.

<nav> simply replaces <div id="nav"> for more semantically helpful code.

It is just a container tag used to lump in your navigation elements and can be used or not as you see fit.

The .nav class on a ul tag <ul class="nav"> has a totally different purpose than the <nav> container tag.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to JimmyGG

Jimmy, there is just no way that Adobe can anticipate how you want to do things.

Yes, <nav> is a new thing under HTML5 and it is more semantic than <div id="nav"> And what happens when you have navigation on both the top of the website and the bottom within a footer, each styled differently?

With CSS3 and HTML5, you can style nav thusly:

nav {

display: block;

text-transform: uppercase;

}

Then do your navigation in HTML

And have a class for nav thusly:

nav .top {

color: #fff;

}

footer nav {

color: #000

}

There, you have black navigation text in the footer, white (where it is presumably going to stand out) on a top navigation. Both are display: block and both transform the text to uppercase.

And Dreamweaver ought not to assume that is what you are going to do—or not. So they're laying out div containers that work with HTML5 and also HTML4. It's not like you can't use anything you used to use in HTML4.

Here's another fun thing you can to in HTML5:

You can style sections and articles. Articles can fit into sections and vice-versa. You can also style aside tags—I'm doing that now. Or, you can just do the stuff you were doing in HTML4 and XHTML in an HTML5 document. And, by the way, it's perfectly legitimate to put Flash into an HTML5 document (gasp!!). One should have a good way for mobile devices to degenerate if one is using Flash in HTML5, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to JimmyGG

You can't post code via email. You'll need to come to the forum to post the code you want us to see.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to mhollis55

Flash is a dead web technology.  It is not supported by the most popular mobile devices (iPhone, iTouch,  iPad, new Androids, etc...)

Best advice, replace your Flash content with jQuery, Adobe Edge Animate or HTML5 video.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

I was pointing out that, even though the earliest HTML5 devices (mobile) do not do Flash (especially iOS), you can still put it into the website. I did that as an alternative (in one website) to support older browsers.

I agree, Flash is dead. But it is perfectly plausable to put it into an HTML5 document to support old stuff.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points