Skip navigation
Gogluchon
Currently Being Moderated

Organizer cannot show thumbnails or play video for my captured DV video

Dec 6, 2012 10:23 AM

Tags: #organizer #elements #preview #thumbnails #premier #dv

I have captured DV video from my 10-year old DV camera (Sony DCR-TR22) that Elements Organizer is neither able to preview nor show thumbnails for. When I double click on it, I get a preview window, but all I can do is play the audio, and I see a generic video icon in place of the actual video.

On the other hand, the video plays back just fine in the editing window, so I know the right codecs are there somewhere.

I am using Windows 7 64bit. I've also installed VideoLan, but I don't think that's the culprit as I uninstalled it to see if that solves the issue (and it does not).

Not being able to use Organizer for my DV video makes Elements much less useful than advertised. Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to Gogluchon

Did you use Premiere Elements to capture the video over a FireWire connection?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple, per the program requirements?

What happens when you put the video on the timeline of a Premiere Elements project?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Gogluchon

I'd go manually to Windows Update and ensure you have all of the updates -- not just the ones that load automatically, but also the non-critical ones. They can play important roles in processes like video editing.

Beyond that, I can think of no idea why this is happening. It's certainly not a problem with the program. And the DV codec is a standard codec that every operating system includes with its basic load.

I assume you've got adequate hardware -- a dual core or better processor and at least 4 gigs of RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

And certainly make sure you go to the ATI or nVidia site and download the very latest driver for your video card.

A thread discussing a similar problem today found that doing that made his clips visible.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to Gogluchon

DV files us the DV codec. It's a universal codec that's included with every operating system.

The only thing I can think is that some other software on your computer replaced the standard DV coded with that IEC61384 or whatever codec.

You can probably restore the DV codec by downloading the K Lite Codec Pak.

http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Downloading codec packs isn't always a good idea, but this is a terrific and pack that I've used with no problems.

You only need the Basic pack -- although the advanced pack includes some very nice tools. Just make sure you click the links on the right side of the web page and not and not the big green DOWNLOAD button, which is actually an ad.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Although the bigger question is why your capture software is capturing to that codec!

Try installing the legacy FireWire driver, per the FAQs to the right of this forum, and then doing a test capture.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/869277?tstart=0

That may fix your problem for future captures. I'm just not sure what's going on with these current captures -- particularly if you used Premiere Elements to do the capture!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points