Skip navigation
LouLat62
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a Master or Paragraph rule that would allow me to edit fonts on many pages?

Dec 6, 2012 10:32 AM

Tags: #cs4 #headers #master_pages #paragraph_rules #edit_fonts #header_fonts

I'm using InDesign CS4.

I would like to be able to create a header on a Master that would control the font and size of font on each Header on each page.

On each page, the wording is different, so there can't be wording... 

The Headings on each page have a different font than the font in the body of the book.

Is creating a master the best way, or is creating a type of paragraph or paragraph rule the way to go?

I feel there must be a way to make this happen - so if the font needs to be changed, it can be changed from a master or a rule, not having to go to each and every page...

Thanks for your help, Lou

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to LouLat62

Is creating a master the best way, or is creating a type of paragraph or paragraph rule the way to go?

Use both in combination.

To govern formatting, and to make wholesale changes if needed, use a Paragraph Style. If I read you right, this is synonymous with your term "paragraph rule." The style can include all kinds of format settings, and changes to the style affect every paragraph to which the style's been applied.

To set up a header the way you describe, put it on a Master Page and apply your Paragraph Style. Then, on each appliable document page, Ctrl+Shift+Click the text frame to override the Master item and make it editable from the page, so you can change the text as needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to John Mensinger

... Or use text variables if you want your running heads to update

automatically based on information on the page (e.g. the most recent

chapter heading, etc.)

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to LouLat62

In the Paragraph Styles panel, the dropdown in the top right corner of the panel allows you to edit your paragraph rules as required (just single click your paragraph rule then click the dropdown).

If you're trying to duplicate the style and just edit one formatting option of the style then I suggest you "Duplicate Style..." then alter the formatting option you want to change.

To apply a paragraph style all you have to do is select the text field, then select the desired paragraph style in the panel. If you're trying to apply different paragraph styles to a text field that appears in a master by applying it to the text field in the page, it may not work. The purpose of a master is to reuse the objects across multiple pages in exactly the same way (although have not tested to see if there is any type of conditional formatting for objects that appear on a master).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to LouLat62

What did I do?

Not sure.

What do I do?

If you still don't have it sorted out, here are some steps to follow, with some assumptions based on info contained in the thread so far:

1. Go to your Master Page and set up your header text frame. Type an actual line of text in there, even if it's just "Header goes here" or something like that.
    2. Format the text the way you want all your headers to look; font, size, etc.
    3. With the now-formatted text selected, go to the Paragraph Styles panel, (if you don't see it, choose Window > Styles > Paragraph Styles or press Ctrl+F11), and choose New Paragraph Style from the panel menu, (click the menu icon at the top-right corner of the panel to access the panel menu). This will open the Paragraph Style dialog, pre-populated with settings based on your text selection. Give it a name like "Header Left," put a tick on Apply Style to Selection and click OK.
      1. If you need a Header Right style for the facing Master Page, there are a few ways to get it. Here's one: In the Paragraph Styles panel, right-click on the Header Right style and choose Duplicate Style... to make a copy of it. Now right-click on the new copy and choose Edit Header Right copy... Change its name to Header Left, make whatever other changes you want to the style settings, (primarily Indents and Spacing > Alignment, I should think), and click OK.
      2. Now you can also duplicate the text frame you made in step 1 by copy/paste or Alt-Drag to the facing page. Put it where you want it and apply the Header Left style.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:46 AM   in reply to LouLat62

Thanks for letting us know.

Sorry I got Right and Left mixed up a bit there!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points