Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to color layers and sub layers in Fireworks?

Dec 6, 2012 11:33 AM

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a way to colorize the layers and sub layers in the layer panel in Fireworks CS5.5, like you can in Photoshop. I work in a small web design company doing GUI design and when I pass the files on to the developers they are asking for easier ways to sort the content of various layers and sublayers at a glance. In Photoshop you can apply a color to a layer or group in the layrs panel and that works great for an internal labeling scheme. Is there anything like this built into Fireworks or are there any add-ons from a 3rd party etc. that would allow this? It wold save a lot of trouble and time for us. I can't find anything anywhere about it, but it may be that my search terminology is poor. I'm not sure how you would word a search for this kind of feature. I keep getting information about applying colors to shapes etc rather than colorzing the labeling of layers panel itself.

Thanks in advance for any help or information!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Ravenant211

If this option were available, you'd find it in either the Layers panel fly-out menu or Preferences. Unfortunately, it's not (as far as I can tell).

Most add-ons to Fireworks come in the form of Commands or Command Panels. So I don't think you can find something to modify that aspect of the Layers panel, unless somebody created a replacement for the whole panel.

All I can think to suggest is that maybe you could use Pages or States to help organize your file contents. With Onion Skinning, multiple states can be visible on the canvas at once, and you can customize their opacity using the Custom... command within the Onion Skinning menu (in the States panel). Different aspects of a design could be consigned to different States, but would all be visible on the canvas.

Certainly, you could try using an outline type of system to organize your Layers—for instance, adding A, B, C, etc. to the start of the layer names. Personally, I find the sublayer system a bit awkward to use, but you could also opt to use Layers/Sublayers to create a higher level of organization.

Finally, you could try submitting a feature request to Adobe: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points