• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp Server 9 Crashes Periodically

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp Server 9 to allow users of RoboHelp HTML v9 to publish too.  There has been nothing but problems with the server component since the beginning of time.  Basically all functionallity of the server works as described except for the fact it crashs periodically throughout the day.  Below I will describe with detailed explination of my setup here...

Also, the problems only appears during the day when load on the server is greater than in the evening.  The server will run all night without load just fine, but in the morning 45 minutes into the day it goes unresponsive... 😞

Operating System Specifications:

Windows 2008 Server R2 64bit

16GB Memory

Java v1.6.0_37 64bit

Tomcat v7 64bit

Oracle Database Enterprise 64bit

Adobe RoboHelp Server 64bit

Tomcat server seems to run OK for 60-90 minutes and then starts to hang and become unresponsive.  After a lot of stopping and starting the Tomcat service for weeks I started to use JConsole to monitor the Tomcat service.  It seems that the problem is geared around the fact that the Java processes spawn numerous threads over time and does properly kill them off after usage (see graph below).

threads_hang.jpg

If you look at any of the randomly spawned threads its current state is the following...

Name: http-bio-80-exec-305

State: WAITING on java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync@72a0009d

Total blocked: 0  Total waited: 1

Stack trace:

sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)

java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)

java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.parkAndCheckInterrupt(Unknown Source)

java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.doAcquireShared(Unknown Source)

java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.acquireShared(Unknown Source)

java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$ReadLock.lock(Unknown Source)

adobe.robohelp.server.BrowserPool.getBrowser(BrowserPool.java:798)

adobe.robohelp.server.ServerData.getBrowser(ServerData.java:294)

adobe.robohelp.server.RoboHelpServer.doGet(RoboHelpServer.java:133)

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)

org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171)

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)

org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:931)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)

org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1004)

org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)

- locked org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketWrapper@7c5cf550

java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Google turns up some information about 'java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock$NonfairSync' problems.  The general consensus is to use '-XX:+UseMembar' as a runtime argument.  I tried this and didnt notice any improvement. 😞

Another thing I tried was to increase the size of the maxThreads to 400 and 500 respectively.  Seeing no change in performance with either setting.

Looking in the logs after a given crash produces NO EXCEPTIONS or other informational error relating to why it crashed.

Whats really got me confused is why the entire Tomcat service becomes unresponsive and not just the RoboHelp contexts in particualr?

----------------------

Just so we are clear and I don't want people to chasing a Tomcat v7 only issue, but I have tried the exact same setup with Tomcat v6 and expierence the same types of crashes throughout the day.

Any help or suggestions will be appreiceated!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ncdhhs1 and welcome to the RH forums.

I'm afraid I don't have a lot to add, but didn't want this post languishing in the RH Server hinterland unloved. Whilst some users have experienced occasional crashes, none suffer them with the regularity you describe. The fact that they seem to occur during peak periods would seem to suggest that there is some load issue. You have tried the suggestions I would normally make though. The problem with this forum is that most users are not server experts so I doubt you will get a lot of feedback. I just wanted you to know this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had similar problems when deploying RH Server 8 in our Data Center. We have over 58,000 potential Help users. Just as you experienced, the server was fine overnight, but during the day it would crash regularly for no reason. We worked with Adobe Support for some time without completely resolving the issue. Our Data Center Engineers ended up configuring a second Help Server to kick in when the first server went down. Not a perfect solution, as we are paying for two server licenses.

We are planning to move to RH Server 9 and I was disappointed to see your comment thinking we may be facing the same hurdle when moving to 9.

I haven't seen any capacity information from Adobe. It would be nice to know if there is a maximum number of users on the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happen with me. I´ve tried everything that was told in this forum, increase the Java memory etc.. and nothing changes.

This is my log that is generated by RoboHelp Server 9. My  database server is SQL Server 2005.

29/08/2013 17:41:24 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log

GRAVE: java.lang.NullPointerException

java.lang.NullPointerException

at adobe.robohelp.server.DatabaseManager.GetTitleForUrlInternal(DatabaseManager.java:2138)

at adobe.robohelp.server.DatabaseManager.GetTopicTitle(DatabaseManager.java:2160)

at adobe.robohelp.server.DatabaseManager.OnLogTopicRequest(DatabaseManager.java:1291)

at adobe.robohelp.server.CSystemManager.doCommand(CSystemManager.java:243)

at adobe.robohelp.server.HelpArea.doGet(HelpArea.java:83)

at adobe.robohelp.server.AreaManager.doGet(AreaManager.java:80)

at adobe.robohelp.server.RoboHelpServer.doGet(RoboHelpServer.java:172)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:617)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:433)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Vanessa

I don't have an answer for you but I would suggest calling technical support. Adobe has a lot of products, so I suggest you ask to be escalated to someone with specific knowledge of Adobe Robohelp Server.

Have ready the types of info which ncdhhs1 posted:

Operating System Specifications:

Windows 2008 Server R2 64bit

16GB Memory

Java v1.6.0_37 64bit

Tomcat v7 64bit

Oracle Database Enterprise 64bit

Adobe RoboHelp Server 64bit

If you don't get reasonable attention, please forward the case number to me and I'll try to follow up.

Thanks

John Daigle

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp