Skip navigation
roblesdesigns
Currently Being Moderated

How to get rid of spacer.gif?

Dec 6, 2012 1:07 PM

Tags: #problem #dreamweaver #fireworks #tables #spacer.gif

Hello there,

I have an assignment for class and my teacher hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I created a site in fireworks (cs6) and then he says to export it. As I was building it and previewing it in a browser, I see these blank white boxes in certain areas and it's shifting things. I tried exporting thinking maybe it was just my browser and they were still there when I opened the file in DW. I think this is an issue because I'm using tables but I want to get rid of these.

I tried deleting them from the code but then the entire layout went crazy. I tried aligning all the slices. I tried the different settings in the fireworks export options but it just shifts where the white squares appear.

I'm really getting frustrated but don't know how to fix this. Please help!

Below are three images. One with slices on. Second with preview in browser (same shows up in Dreamweaver) and finally what it's supposed to look like.

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.03.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.03.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 4.04.13 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to roblesdesigns

Are you trying to export a table-based layout? It sounds like you are... Have a look at the export options available under File > HTML Setup. The Table options allow you to choose what methods are used for spacing or to fill empty table cells. If this doesn't help, then the General options might be worth experimenting with. In particular, try choosing another option under HTML Style (e.g., Generic XHTML or Dreamweaver HTML, instead of Dreamweaver XHTML).

Table options.pngGeneral options.png

The other option is to create a layout with the intent to export it as HTML & CSS. In that case, upon exporting, you'd choose "CSS and Images" (instead of "HTML and images"). However, this requires that you build the file and slice it in a particular way; I mention this just in case you're attempting to export the file in this form, instead of as a table-based layout.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to roblesdesigns

Hopefully, you can get some one-on-one feedback from your instructor on this assignment.

It looks like the text portions in the lower right of the layout have expanded in size somewhat upon rendering in the browser. This may be what's forcing certain table cells to expand to accommodate the content, causing the elements within the table to become misaligned. Text and table-based layouts just never go together well, and table-based layouts in general are not such a great idea. You might try targeting the size of this text via CSS to reduce its size.

Alternatively, I would tend to look at the code in Dreamweaver, checking for sizing attributes within the table. Sometimes, these might cause a discrepancy in rendering from one browser to the next.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 10:20 PM   in reply to roblesdesigns

Ah, that's a good fix! I wish I'd thought to suggest it. Thanks for sharing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points