Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Printing in Photoshop Elements 10

Dec 6, 2012 2:07 PM

When I try to print a photo that I opened in Elements 10 (I didn't adjust the photo's size, I just cropped off some unwanted bits and added graphics) at 720 dpi, I get a warning message that says "The following images will be rendered at less that 220 dpi at the requested print size".   The only way I don't get that warning is if I tell it to print it really small (like 2x2).  Why does it do this?  (No matter what I tell it, my printer prints the photo much darker that the image on the screen, I don't know why that is either!)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to anncmakpix

Where are you selecting the 720 dpi? In the printer settings? That's different from the resolution of the photo, which is measured in ppi (pixels per inch, not dots per inch). To adjust the photo resolution, before you go to print go to Image>Resize>Resize Image and make sure that Resample Image is OFF, then set the ppi to what you want (usually not more than 300-the human eye can't see any more than that).

For the dark prints, it most often means that your monitor is too bright, which is very common with new monitors these days.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to anncmakpix

For the brightness problem, if your monitor is too bright, then everything you see will appear brighter than it really is. If you can reduce the brightness/luminance of your monitor you will see more accurately how your photos really look. Yes, generally if they are printing dark at home, they will print dark elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points