Skip navigation
BudV
Currently Being Moderated

How to feather to invisible

Dec 6, 2012 3:31 PM

PSE9 under MAC OS 10.6.8.

I don't know how I can add to what the title already says.  I would like a photo to have a soft border that feathers to invisible.  I've tried to set an absolute invisible border (select invert followed by a background erase of the selection) and feathering that, but I inevitably get feathering that starts at the outer edge, crosses over into the photo itself leaving a sharp edge showing, and extends too far into the photo.

I simply want  all four of the photo's edges to "disappear" into nothing. 

Any help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 4:34 PM   in reply to BudV

Select what you want. Go to Select>Feather and add a largish feather (the exact amount will depend on the resolution of the photo and the size of what you want to keep). Then Select>Invert, Delete.

Oh, and to get a transparent surround, if this is just a single layer photo with only a background layer, before you do any of this, go to the layers panel and double-click the background layer to make it a regular layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to BudV

You, too! Glad I could help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to BudV

You can use the message system here and PM any user if you want to contact someone directly. Just click their user name and then Send Private message appears in the list of actions on the upper right of the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to BudV

Anti-aliasing is a way of smoothing the edges of a digital image (or the letters in text) so they don’t look jagged. Normally you want it on.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 7:51 PM   in reply to BudV

Oh, sorry. It's exactly the same as the one in the Select menu. Just saves you having to open that up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points