Skip navigation
BrockNordstrom
Currently Being Moderated

Colors in Photoshop appear darker when saved as Jpeg

Dec 6, 2012 7:19 PM

Tags: #photoshop #error #color #jpeg #dark #grayscale #colors #greyscale #appear

problem.jpg

I have noticed a common trend among my .jpeg saves from photoshop, they all seem to appear darker than when they were originally viewed and edited accordingly in Photoshop.

I don't know much about Color profiles and such, I have gone through the settings briefly, but do not want to mess anything up! Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

ASUS N76VZ - GeForce GT 650M - Windows 8 (in case it matters)
-Brock

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to BrockNordstrom

You need to view the two images in the same program to make a comparison.   Windows Live Photogallery may have no color management making it look different.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to BrockNordstrom

Photoshop is color managed, other programs may or may not be.  It is a complex subject but start with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942856

Provides answers for Photo  Viewer and color issues.

This should help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to BrockNordstrom

Any particlular reason you are using Windows Live Photo viewer rather than Adobe Bridge (assuming you have Photoshop and not Photoshop Elements)?  In Bridge the image is color managed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 7, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to BrockNordstrom

If display of your grayscale images on displays of gamma 2.2 is important, perhaps you should consider making your preferred working space for grayscale imagery Gray Gamma 2.2.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to BrockNordstrom

yeah, i agree with Noel, your Edit> Color Settings> Working Spaces: Gray space appears to be vastly different gamma than your monitor profile

your monitor space should probably be profiled near 2.2 gamma, d60/6000, luminance 120 cmd2

i will recommend trying these settings (particularly the Color Management Policies set to all three Preserve Embedded Profiles and all three boxes checked to warn you of profile issues

Settings.png

lastly, i recommend you goggle for a download copy of the the Photodisc-Getty PDI tagged WhackedRGB.jpg reference image to check your monitor/workflow - trust Photoshop and that image to show you where problems may lie in your workflow and other images

the bad news is - after you get Photoshop and your monitor working properly - you may find that most/all your legacy documents are not as you think and may need to be readjusted...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to gator soup

that and pay attention if you are embedding profiles in Photoshop save (or not)

and if your image viewers/web browsers are using the embedded profile or not (WhackedRGB.jpg should make that pretty obvious)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 7, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to BrockNordstrom

The important thing about the monitor is that it has to look substantially the same no matter whether you're looking at it straight on or at a bit of an angle.  Otherwise it won't much matter whether it's calibrated and profiled.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to BrockNordstrom

With your current image open, choose Edit > Convert to Profile. Then select Gray > Gray Gamma 2.2 or RGB > sRGB and you will be fine. In fact I would go with sRGB,  I don't think the file size will be significantly different between the two.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points