Skip navigation
HeidiMeyer2012
Currently Being Moderated

How to use LR2/Mogrify canvas so a 4x6 image doesn't get cropped at the photo lab

Dec 6, 2012 7:24 PM

Tags: #export #library #print #lightroom4

I have Lightroom 4 and the plug-in LR2/Mogrify; which I purchased.  I am trying to send my images at 300 dpi to a photo lab to produce 4x6 prints with a border at the bottom that is 10% of the short side, and the other 3 borders are 2% of the short side.  I then add text for a size 25 pixel font.  I am happy with this look when I export to the file folder on the desktop.  When I upload to the photo lab, their software wants to resize my prints; where I loose my border or part of the image or the larger border with the words cut-off.  I know I have to do something with the canvas, but I don’t understand what to do to get a fixed image size for a 4x6 print with borders and text.  I need to know what the numbers are to imput in the Mogrify "background canvas" and how many KB to "compress to file size". 

I have the "image sizing" at 6" longest edge, 300 dpi for resolution

I have the canvas at 1280 x 1920

The compression size at 300kb

With this I am losing the top border and the other borders now look wierd.

Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to HeidiMeyer2012

Heidi

I've not tried to do precisely what you want to do in LR2 Mogrify but I send jpeg files on a fixed canvas size for the aspect ratio for varying image ratios in the way described below. 

First make the canvas 1800x1200 pixels (in white if your borders are white). This is, of course, 6"x4" at 300dpi and 3:2 aspect ratio. 

If you are starting with an image (including the various border widths) at 3:2 aspect ratio resize the image to be 1800x1200 and the canvas size plays no part,  unless you want to add a little extra for trim variations for example 1782x1267 to gives a few extar pixels leeway. 

With images at a different aspect ratio from 3:2 resize so that the longest dimension corresponds to the maximum number of pixels you need.  The sizing and canvas sections in LR2 Mogrify need to be active for you to access them         

Message was edited by: effeegee typo corrections and clarification

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to HeidiMeyer2012

This sounds like an excellent feature.

Does anybody know, if you really need to type custom text identical for the export batch in this Mogrify section of the export dialog?

Or would metadata fields such as Title or Caption be available?

Another question: have you tried this, without plugin, from the print module - where those metadata are available? What is the result / what are the shortcomings vs. Mogrify?

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to HeidiMeyer2012

Hallo Heidi,

Maybe it would be worth while to inquire at your lab supplier what their specifications are.

Because if they should per default regard any white border space as free to cut off, it would not work, no matter which exact dimensions you try.

Obviously their preview does not seem exact, otherwise you would not have cropped in their tool...

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 2:35 PM   in reply to HeidiMeyer2012

Heidi

I looked at your screen shots in more detail.

The resizing options are different with the resize tab in LR2 Mogrify from those in the native Lightroom options which you have used. They may conflict if you use both. I prefer to use LR2 Mogrify since this is what drives your borders as well as whether outer borders are included in the image and if the aspect ratio is maintained.

The canvas size determines the overall file dimensions in pixels (with padding when required). The file dimensions in pixels will get converted to inches or millimetres by the lab's printing resolution. So even if the resize is to 1800x1200 pixels in the LR2 Mogrify resize tab I would make the canvas size 1800x1200.  It just implies that the canvas and image are the same size and that no padding would result. If you enter 99% of 1800 x1200 (1782x1188) you should get padding of 9 pixels and 6 pixels in the sides, top and bottom margins respectively.

By the way I would not limit the file size to 350Kb the final size of the file will relate to the pixel dimensions.              

A quick test of what your settings achieve would be to have the canvas set to black. Then satisfy yourself that a little but consistent padding strip results when your print or view the exported JPEG file. If you are still struggling why not try and post this with the appropriate screen shots and it might make clear what is going on.  

I hope you are not having to enter the description on each photo. That looks very tedious.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points