Skip navigation
Geolaf
Currently Being Moderated

The obsolete 'copy' in save as .jpg

Dec 7, 2012 8:41 AM

I supported Pshop for Adobe when 4 came out (1997) and STILL I have to delete the automatic insertion of 'copy' into the filename when I save a layered .psd as a .jpg. There is NO reason for this piece of code anymore. As I understand it, there was some weird concern that, since layers were new, people wouldn't realize that saving as a .jpg wouldn't preserve them and they would also have to save the .psd as well - which you are warned about anyway on close.

Can ANYONE tell me why this piece of code is still there? Can ANYONE concoct a reason I have had to delete 'copy' on save as .jpg for FIFTEEN years now? Just for my sanity - make something up that sounds good. PLEASE!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Geolaf

This has be a topic of numerous threads.  Here is a long one that covers most bases.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4189806#4189806

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 7, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Geolaf

I haven't seen "copy" added to a filename in a very long time, and I do do a lot of File - Save As - JPEG operations.  I'm with you - constantly having to delete that would drive me nuts.

I honestly can't say what I've done to avert it, though.  I'll be interested to see what it works out to be.

I'm on Windows 7 by the way.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 7, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to Geolaf

Mac or PC, Geolaf?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to Geolaf

I also do not see a copy added.  Win 7 also.  I have done nothing to modify default settings.

Just made a layered PSD and saved it as a jpeg.  I noticed when I clicked save as the box that came up had a check mark next to copy.  When I changed the save as box to jpeg the copy box was grayed out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to Geolaf

I don't get that when saving a psd as a jpg. It just saves with same file name but with the jpg extension. No "copy" is added.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to Geolaf

Geolaf,

Here is a tip that might get you a new version of PS, if you act quick.  Right now you can upgade to CS6 for the upgrade price (in US $200).  After Dec 31 that offer goes over the fiscal cliff and you have to pay full version price (US$700).  Be aware however it really needs 64 bit OS and 8 gig or ram with a good video card.

CS3 Bridge has a trouble ridden version. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Geolaf

There is a purpose for Save As Copy.

Saving as a copy keeps the original file open in photoshop.

If you were to flatten your jpeg before saving you shouldn't get the copy added to the file name.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Geolaf

Shift + Ctrl+ S which is "Save as" will not add "copy" to the file name and if the name and location is not changed by the user after a warning, will replace the file on disk and thus the currently open file.

Ctrl + Alt + S which is "Save a copy" will add "copy" to the file name and will save another file on disk leaving the original file and thus the open file unchanged.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Geolaf

Geolaf wrote:

Also - it happens with no other save as format - even all the other ones that get rid of the layers, etc. Maybe it was a legal deal with jpg?

It is the same for any format

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Geolaf

read my post #10 and realize how you "save as"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to Geolaf

I believe the behavior was changed starting with cs5 so layered files don't get the copy added to the name when saving jpegs.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Geolaf

In cs3 it's not a problem when saving layered files to jpegs (except for the added copy), but if you flatten the layered psd file before saving or open a psd with only the background layer and then save to jpeg, when

you use File>Revert, the file reverts to the saved jpeg instead of the original psd.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Geolaf

Oh, sorry I was answering to your first messages where it appears that you were talking about the latest versions. I missed CS3 mentioned later in the thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to Geolaf

Geolaf wrote:

Sorry - been using shift+control S forever - doesn't offer the option to NOT save as a cop

I really don't think my workflow is at all unusual. I would just like it to save the jpeg as a flattened jpg (since all jpgs ARE flat) and leave the psd open - just as it does - and prompt me to save the psd as it does. But I would be happy if there WAS a keycombo that made that happen.

Nevertheless - I guess this is the definitive 'thinking' behind the code - even though it doesn't offer a choice (which is where I think the flaw is - since the only thing that happens to the workflow is that I have to remove - or leave - copy in the filename.)

It's not as if it's preventing anything. They could have put in a dialog that says: "Saving in another format with layers will leave the author file in psd format and save a copy so that you can maintain your layers." with a checkbox that says: Don't show me this again.

May be good ideas, but I can assure you that they are not going to make any code changes for CS3 and your problem doesn't exist in the latest versions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points