Skip navigation
Dearborn1
Currently Being Moderated

GOPRO edited video is 'zoomed in' compared to cam original footage; PPro CS6

Dec 7, 2012 10:40 AM

I'm editing only GOPRO footage in PPr CS6. The edited video is 'zoomed in' ~2-3x from the cam original footage.  WHAT'S UP W/THAT? A checkbox somewhere? What do I do to change this and have the edited footage look exactly the same as the cam original?  I hope this is understandable. TIA.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Dearborn1

I would guess that the Sequence Setting is perhaps DV (standard def) while your footage it HD. You can check by clicking the "Sequence" menu at top of screen and see what the Editing Mode is. Also, in Bin, select a video clip and at top of Bin it ought to show you the specs of the clip.

One trick is to drag and drop a clip from the Bin onto the "New" icon at bottom of bin, and this will create a New Sequence to match the video size and frame rate automatically. Otherwise, for the current situation, you can right-click a clip in the Sequence and select "Scale to Frame Size". In Preferences, there is a checkbox to do this to all clips, but does not affect clips that were already imported.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to Dearborn1

Hi Dearborn1,

You're welcome, but let's make sure you are 100%. HDV refers to a tape-based format that records "anamorphic" HD, which is 1440x1080, so not "full" HD which is 1920x1080. Not sure what record mode you are in, as I believe you will have options of 1080 or 720 HD, but you may be better off with an "AVCHD" preset that matches the footage specs (maybe you meant HDV at 720p? Not used by many cameras).

You CAN put 1920x1080 clips into an HDV project and they look fine, but you're losing some resolution that way. For that matter, you can drop 1080 clips into a 720p project and it still works, but ideally you want the best match to the source, and then you can always downconvert final output for DVD web, etc. What is the exact source format, so instance "1080p 30"?

Thanks

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Dearborn1

As I thought, you don't want to use the "HDV" preset, that does not match your frame size (even though you now see the whole image). Do see you a frame rate along with your clip info? Probably 30p. Choose the AVCHD folder, then "1080p" then choose the preset to match your frame rate, likely 1080p30 (do not use anamorphic).

You can right-click a clip in the Bin and hit Properties and see if that tells you frame rate, or fps. If not, right-click and try "Modify > Interpret Footage" and see what it shows for frame rate in there.

Advice for Warp Stabilizer - works best on short clips (seconds, not minutes). Sometimes I get amazingly perfect results, other clips the subject may be stabilized nicely but the background moves around and warps in strange ways, and that is due to how CMOS image sensors work in the camera, called "jello wobble".

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to Dearborn1

If you cannot figure out all the presets for the GoPro do this:

New Item Icon.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This