Skip navigation
good dog
Currently Being Moderated

Why is Photoshop CS6 extremely slow with the brush tool using Wacom pen?

Dec 7, 2012 11:51 AM

Could my wacom tablet be the issue?  The psd processor spins not stop until I pick up the wacom mouse and click on an adjacent layer then back to the layer I was working on.  Then the wacom pen  work with the brush tool.  This seems to happen when every time I  pick up the pen and go back to the brush  tool.

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,011 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to good dog

good dog wrote:

Could my wacom tablet be the issue?  The psd processor spins not stop until I pick up the wacom mouse and click on an adjacent layer then back to the layer I was working on.  Then the wacom pen  work with the brush tool.  This seems to happen when every time I  pick up the pen and go back to the brush  tool.

First I don't understand what you have written. What do you mean by "The psd processor spins" ?

Let start easy.  Open a new default size document  7" x 5" 72DPI.  Select the paint brush tool and set the brush size 25px 100% hardness.  Then use the Wacom pen on the background how does this work?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to good dog

Using dpi means little for PS as it is a printing spec. (dots per inch).  What you really need to state is the pixel size of the image (height and width in pixels).  You will find this in Image/image size.

The next piece of information needed to offer advice is your OS and RAM.  If you are trying to edit huge files with 4 gig or RAM it just is not going to work smoothly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to good dog

For PS the size in pixels is the ideal number.  Some like to use PPI, which is pixels per inch, which is what is displayed on the screen. 

It is a known fact that you will experience slower response times as the size of the brush goes up.  At what size that occurs depends on the computer to some degree.  So if using a 29K X 18K image and a large brush you will probably experience some lag.  Does this lag go away with smaller brush size?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to good dog

I have pretty much the exact same hardware and sw setup, and am not seeing that. We also work on very large files.

Once in a while the brushes will slow down, and a reboot fixes it. But we've just upgraded to CS6 on the same HW setup as you, with wacom, and have not seen anything funny. We also upgraded to 10x6.8 and didnt' even upgrade the wacom drivers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points