• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

plug in second eBook reader, can't read library book on PC

Guide ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure how flexible overdrive Library loans using ADE are meant to be, so maybe I'm trying to do something I shouldn't, but the behaviour is very odd.

I have been using my local library and reading loaned books on a Bookeen Opus; using ADE as a necessary intermediary.

This has worked fine (apart from an ADE irritation mentioned in another post, but that is pretty much a side-effect).

I can read the books on the PC if I want to (which I generally don't), and on the eBook reader.

My wife recently got a second reader (Sony PRS-350) which we have registered with the same Adobe id.

I have transferred a bought DRM book to it and that worked fine, we can read it on PC or either reader.

However, I am getting very odd effects with library books. 

I've transferred books from her library account and mine onto the PC, and on to the first reader.

No problems, all behaved as before.

BUT ... when I plug the new reader into the computer, ADE gets upset and refuses to go near any of the library books.

When I try to copy a library book to the reader, I get a message 'CE_COPY_NOT_ALLOWED - No permission to copy the book.'

And when I try to read one on the PC with the new reader plugged in, I get 'Unable to open ... No record for this loan is found on this machine.'

Unplug the new reader and I can read the book on the PC; but obviously can't copy it.

Is this a feature of ADE and Adobe DRM rules on library books, or a bug in ADE, or a problem specifically with the Sony, or ...???

Googling gave me various people with 'No record for this loan is found on this machine' issues, but they all seemed different.

I guess I could install ADE on another machine with another adobeId for my wife, and register her reader with that id, but that seems a bit complicated. And not possible for lots of people who don't have a second PC.

Can anyone suggest a way around it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been dealing with the Sony PRS-350 and ADE permissions issues this week, so this is timely. For Sony devices, you have to install the Sony Reader Library software in order to get ADE to detect it. The Sony software contains the device drivers. I believe that one Adobe ID can be attached to up to 6 devices.

Regarding the permissions issues: I'm a librarian and deal with ereaders quite a lot. Since ADE 2.0 came out, we have been getting some complaints about permissions problems with books that have been transferred to devices, particulary Simple Nook Touches. What follows is the solution that has worked with eInk Nooks.

One thing you can try is to deauthorize your computer (Ctrl+Shift+D) and the device (Ctrl+Shift+E). Then, with the device plugged in to the computer look at the file structure. The Sony Reader will appear as two drives. One contains the books, etc; the other houses setup software. In the drive that contains the books you will see a folder called "adobe digital editions" or it may just be "digital editions." Try deleting that folder. Then, restart ADE and it should have you re-authorize your computer, etc.

You do not need Overdrive software on your computer to download ebooks onto an ereader, just for audiobooks. That software in app form is used for ebooks when viewing on tablets. You cannot use Sony software to transfer library ebooks.

Just yesterday I got a Sony PRS-350 (not a bad little device, IMHO, btw) to play nice with ADE 2.0, so I hope you or someone else finds this info helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 15, 2012 Dec 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattrweaver1, Thanks for replying.  Must be a nightmare for your library support ....

Unfortunately your suggestions didn't work for me.  (The folder is just 'Digital Editions').

Could be the difference in level of the Sony driver?  I have Sony Reader 2.0.01.11080 installed.

Not a real issue for me any more, as reverting to Digital Editions 1.7.2 does all I need.

Yes, PRS-350 is a nice little device. 

Shame it needs special driver software to run properly; no need for that with the Bookeen Opus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to meet you mattweaver. I'm also a Librarian in Australia and we've been getting a lot of customer complaints about this just in time for Christmas.

So, the word from Overdrive is that there have been some incompatibility issues between Sony ereaders and ADE 2.0. I've been finding my problems are intermittent - sometimes the book transfers, other times I get the error message no matter what I do.

So Overdrive recommends using Sony Reader Library. It used to be the case that you couldn't transfer library ebooks with this software but this has changed. - just make sure the latest version is installed.

Interesting the hear that the Nook is having similar issues. Nooks aren't sold widely in Australia but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

sjpt - if Sony Reader Library doesn't work for you, please let me know and I'll look into it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Triantiwontigongolope20:  Thanks for the comment.  Yes, Sony Reader works for me. 

I haven't tested it but I guess Sony Reader won't work for my Bookeen Opus (reasonably enough), so won't be a very convenient overall solution for me.

Better for me was loading onto ADE2.0, and copying the .epub files from PC to PSR-350 using a file manager such as Explorer.

(Once the PSR is registered with AdobeID, that works even with no Sony software on the PC).

But most convenient was to install ADE 1.7.2.

The best method for any particular user will obviously depend on their circumstances.

Maybe one day Adobe will make an ADE 2.1 and it will work properly?

Version 1.7.2 is a little difficult to find,

UPDATE.  1.7.2 available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

also for PC at http://www.tucows.com/preview/853736/Adobe-Digital-Edition-For-EBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Triantiwontigongolope20. I didn't know that you could use the Sony software to transfer library books, that's interesting. I have the first Sony touch model and like it a lot, in fact it is by far the easiest ereader for getting up and running on Overdrive ebooks: no computer required for registration or searching (although the mobile version of Overdrive websites leave a lot to be desired), no ADE at all, as long as you have wifi. The Sony devices, frankly, are not very popular at my library. Kindles, tablets, and the Nooks dominate.

sipt, sorry that didn't work. The issue may be different for Sony devices. What a headache! And yes, I have had my share of ebook-related headaches in my day job. I'm glad you found a source for older Adobe Digital Editions. I will make note of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks SJPT for pointing me to this thread.  I will put on my to do list to test out a library book with ADE 2.0 and syncing to a Nook and Sony Reader.  I will also try transfering the book to the Overdrive media app for iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff.

A couple of questions:

1 - Is there a way to change topic title?  My original topic title is somewhat misleading now.

2 - What's the proper way to submit bugs on ADE?

I asked higher up:

Does anyone know where to submit bugs to ADE?

The page

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

does not include ADE in the dropdown of products.

(and doesn't look as if they'd take much notice even if it did). <<< maybe I'd better retract that bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the original poster you should be able edit the discussion.

For submitting bugs we don't have a formalized process.  Usually we are notified of potential issues via our support team.  Unfortunately the volume is so low for ADE that it can be more difficult for them to spot trends.

If you can reproduce a particular error consistently feel free to reach out to me via private message or my e-mail jwright@adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. 

I can edit recent posts, but not older ones, and can't see any way to edit the thread title.  Never mind.

Hopefully I won't see any more bugs, but I'll keep your address in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to test checking out a library book using the Overdrive Media Console on iOS as well as utilizing a Nook Color.  I first checked out the book in the Overdrive Media Console and then downloaded the book in ADE 2.0.  I was then able to successfully transfer the book to the Nook Color in ADE 2.0.

Unfortunately I was unable to get the Sony Reader PRS-505 to connect via USB.  Thus I was unable to test it with ADE 2.0.  The connection issue appears to be an issue with the Reader as the Sony software could not see the Reader under Mac OS or Windows 7.

I was thinking about this issue a bit more and it maybe possible that the DRM itself may have prevented the book from being activated on 3 different devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff. Unfortunately I was unable to get the Sony Reader PRS-505 to connect via USB. 

Another recent post (about Nook) pointed out there are sometimes problems connecting a device via a hub,

where direct connection to PC USB works fine.

I don't know if this applies to your setup or to the PRS-505, but an extra confusion to throw into your testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks SJPT it was a direct connection.  It did detect the cable connection and put itself into USB disk mode.  I can't even get the PRS-505 to show up in the system profiler or device manager so I think it is simply a failure of the device itself.  I will inquire with our support team next week to see if they are reporting any issues with these devices as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines