Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

buying a monochrome postscript printer

Dec 8, 2012 8:04 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for inexpensive monochrome postscript printer. I spent a lot of time searching for reviews, feedback and choices but I can't find comprehensive sources of information about this.

The printer will be used mostly for printing my daughter's student assignments. However I'm also a graphic designer and on occasions I would use it to hard proof the detail appearance of fine text and graphics but on the other hand I have enough experience with how it outputs in print shops and I have a lot of printed samples of various fonts in different sizes so, with this and my experience I think I can even get away without a home printer but my daughter needs it and if it doesn't cost much more to use it for my needs too it will be nice to have it. I used to have for more than a decade a 1200x1200 post script laser printer that died several months ago and I haven't been current to what's available now.

I will greatly appreciate any links, pointers, and advice.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to GSIDesign

Look at the Dell printers; esp the refurbed ones. They have real Adobe PS3.

As Scott says the 3250DN has PS3 and is on sale at OfficeMax for $279.99

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to GSIDesign

I've got a Xerox Phaser 3250.. works wonderfully... around $350 US.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to GSIDesign

Xerox has one at the upper end of your price range:

http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-6500/enus.h tml

For not a whole lot more, may I suggest the Phaser 6600?

http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-6600/enus.h tml

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to GSIDesign

GSIDesign wrote:

Tank you Larry and Scott,

I'll check Dell

Scott, is this the same printer?

http://www.shopbot.ca/m/?m=Xerox+Phaser+3250

Yes it is. Looks like prices have dropped a bit since I purchased. Don't you just hate that Either that or it did cost me $250 and I'm mis-remembering.

I specifically was looking for a Postscript level 3 monochrome printer when a collegue at a repair center reccommended the Phaser 3250.

Great printer, quiet, fast, and dependable. Will do duplex printing (double-sided). Prints just fine from any app including Illustrator. Consumables are in a decent price rage as well. Toner for around $100 a cartridge and they tend to last quite a long time for me (like a year or more) with <15 prints a day here.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to GSIDesign

Check the difference between the 3250D and the 3250DN. The DN is the one with the PS3 and costs about $30 more than the D model.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to GSIDesign

Xerox is primarily rebraded Okidata printers. But Oki gets very high reviews as well. Just something more to consider I've never regretted the Phaser purchase. I replaced an Oki monochrome with it.

In my experience Dell can be good. But my only real experience with Dell items are monitors, which are exceptionally different than printers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points