Skip navigation
blueghost63
Currently Being Moderated

How to create gift card template in Illustrator?

Dec 8, 2012 9:14 AM

Tags: #cs5 #gift_card #illustrator_templates

I'm trying to create a gift card in Illustrator. When I initally create new document under "File", I set the width to 3.5" and height 2.25" and the top, bottom, left and right bleed to .125". There wasn't an option to preset the radius of corners for the gift card. The gift card appears square in the document like a business card. How do I create the rounded corners of gift card in Adobe Illustrator CS5 (PC)? Lastly how far do I inset the dash line where text (or QR code) will be positioned? I wish to be able to save gift card document as a template for future projects.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to blueghost63

You need to talk to your service bureau how a dieline for round corners needs to be set up (if it is needed at all). Normally it's just a line in an appropriately named spot color and set to overprinting.

Same goes for the inset: talk to the service bureau.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to blueghost63

If you want the corners to be round, someone has to cut them after printing. So ask the people who print the card.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to blueghost63

Well, those folks use different machines and workflows, so you need to adapt your workflow to theirs.

You cannot set up round corners in Illustrators document. You need to create a dieline instead. And if you need a dashed line, just use the stroke panel. But again: this cannot be created via the document setup. You first need to draw a line.

http://www.businessimageprinting.com/FAQBox/What_is_a_die_line.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to blueghost63

here is a video you obviously have no production experience and there is no reason not to help you understand it all. The shape of the card is punched out with what is called a die it is a thin piece of metal which is shaped as a rectaangle with the round corners. it simply cuts off the sqaure edges but the document setup from the New Document dialog is correct do not worry about the square corners once you create the dieline the die will cut off those corbners.

In the case of credit or gift cards they are plastic and then have perhaps a casted die. If it is not being printed as a plastic card then you can make the corners any radius you wish.

In any event when you bring the file to the printer explain what you have done and how you have named the dieline and if they have a different prtocol they will fix it. Not to worry.

Watch the video

This link did not work will post a new posting.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

by the wy I made an error you have to creat a spot color swatch, usually a light blue and name that swatch cutline, it does not matter what you cal the object or the layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to blueghost63

Double click on the layer in an area of that layer which is not occupied by info to the right of name.

this dialog appears check Template if it is not already selected and that automatically makesi  non printing but you can not work on that layer.

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.33.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.33.45 AM.png

You can also uncheck printing the layer will not print but you cans ill work on it.

Hrre is the rounded rectangle tool.

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.34.08 AM.png

select the rounded rectangle tool  and double click on the document (artbaord ) to bring up the dialog and enter te dimensions of the card and the radius corners.

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.34.51 AM.png

Now you us ehe align panel or the align icons in the control panel to align the rounded rectangle to your artboard using he option to align to artboard.

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.45.05 AM.png

Now the video shoul have filled your screen unless ou are using a low resolution for your monitor.

Bu more important you should read help files about creating documents using the various tools and the various panels and either take a course in using Illustrator or read some books on the subject.

The Real World Illustrator book by Mordy Goldin is a good one.

But it is going to very frustrating if you have noi working knowledge of the application.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points