Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is the best Photo editing software with good organiser for a mac?

Dec 8, 2012 11:13 AM

I have been using PSE9 on our PC and have just switched to using a mac so loaded PSE9 on that and have been discovering quite a few differences, limitations or basic functions just not there.

At the moment I'm very dissapointed because I had no idea that would be the case, I guess I just assumed it would be better than a pc. I'm obviously going to need to buy more editing software but don't want something for the same price but get less just because it's on a mac.

I do quite a bit of tweaking with PSE9, layers, actions (downloaded of the net), general tweaking, some fun funky stuff.

Need a better organiser than iphoto.

I would like to be able to batch process too which I can't currently do.

I can get the educational packages.

What would suit those needs best?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to 345Alive

I don't understand your post at all. If you are talking about organizer, yes, there are several differences, but the editor is exactly the same on both platforms. Things are in different locations (all printing on a mac happens from editor so that's where the picture package and contact sheet are, for instance), but File>Process Multiple Files is the same on both.

The one big difference would be if you bought PSE 9 via the App store but it's been gone from there since the app store version of PSE 10 came out last year, so I'm quite puzzled by your post.

If you want a different asset management program I would do the trials for Lightroom and Aperture and see which you prefer, then set PSE 9 Editor as your external editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to 345Alive

Another thing to remember that is different on a mac is that the top menu bar is at the top of the screen, not attached to the main PSE window.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 9, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to 345Alive

Hi Alive,

PSE9 was the first Organizer for the Mac. It was seen by the industry as a first step but “work in progress”

Obviously there is some catching up required on the Mac but improvements are gradually being introduced. For example in PSE11 it’s possible to Export new files for the first time. Although the slideshow editor is still confined to Windows. That obviously doesn’t help you immediately and you may need to wait for Adobe to come up with future iterations.

At present for the Mac I would recommend Picasa (free from Google) as long as you don’t corrupt your Library by also using iPhoto.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Dec 10, 2012 4:09 AM   in reply to 345Alive

If you have no images in the iPhoto library then there is nothing to worry about. It’s only when you use iPhoto and then start using other programs that the library can get corrupted and you could potentially loose your image files. That’s why when you import from iPhoto into the Elements Organizer the files are duplicated on your hard drive. Barbara always recommends simply exporting copies from iPhoto to add to Organizer. Basically choose either Picasa, Organizer, iPhoto, Aperture or Lightroom etc and stick to the one.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to 345Alive

Photos are stored on a mac the same way they are in windows, unless you use a program like iphoto, which imports them into a proprietary library. You don't have to use iphoto, you know, if you don't like it. I never do. But if you do use it, you need to understand that the iphoto library is for iphoto's own use, not yours. You should never poke around in it from outside iphoto. If you are going to use iphoto, you must always send your photos from iphoto when you want to use them, either by export or via setting an external editor. Some mac programs (mail.app, pixelmator, for instance) also have a photo browser that lets you choose images from iphoto without having to go directly into iphoto to select them.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to 345Alive

Are you saying that when you sort a folder in finder by date created you don't get the right results?

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.27.40 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to 345Alive

Well, my first suggestion would be to get out of icon view. Click the list or column button at the top of the screen and see if things are more what you want. Also, you do know that you can set the view options  to dictate the default criteria for viewing and sorting?

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 8.29.54 AM.png

When I add Date Created and click the button to sort that way, my files are in the correct order:

Screen Shot 2012-12-11 at 10.20.33 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points