Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Change Footnote Special Characters

Dec 8, 2012 10:29 AM

Tags: #cs6 #special_characters #footnotes

I'm working on several books for a client, the books have LOTS of footnotes and they want to use the special characters (*, †, ‡). The closest option that I'm given in the style dropdown is (*, †, ‡, §, ¶...). I really need to be able to edit this because they don't want to use § at all, and one of the books requires ¶ to be in the selection. So the question is: how do I change/adjust the styles that are available in that drop down. I'm willing to get into the program contents and tinker around there if anybody can point me in the right direction, or tell me somebody who has messed with that kind of thing. We are willing to hire a developer if we need to write a special plugin to make this possible.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to circleB

As far as I know there is no exposure of the code for setting footnote marker characters, even to scripting, so if you want to hire a developer it's going to be expensive, I would imagine.

If you DON'T use the automatic footnotes options, though, you can use any characters you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to circleB

I can't help with the developer, but is there any reason not to use numbered footnotes until editing is complete, at which point it would be easier to do the conversion to your special characters?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to circleB

Seems to me like a scripted solution to changing exisiting notes to a new scheme would be a lot easier and less expensive than a custom plugin to create a new scheme that works automatically, but that's just my instinctive reaction.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points