Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Max Footnote Area

Dec 8, 2012 11:15 AM

Tags: #cs6 #endnotes #long_documents

I'm having a problem with VERY long footnotes that extend to more than two pages, what's happening is the second page is filled up withe the footnote, then it continues to the third page. Basically I need a way to keep the footnotes from taking over entire pages and maintain at least some of the body text on all pages of the book. My first idea for a work around was to do a frame break somewhere in the footnote to force it to wrap, but as the text in the book has a very good chance of changing several more times before going to print that is a very unattractive approach. I've done some searching around and everybody seems to be saying that a break is the only way.

I just want to check here and see if anybody knew of something else that might work better, or better yet maybe there is a proper way of doing it!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to circleB

I would move such material into an appendix at the end of the book.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to circleB

But here is the thing for the client to consider...with footnotes that long (as used in your example) the footnote one page X would span an incredible number of pages, keeping any other footnotes from appearing on thier respective pages. Even if it could be done, it would be a reading nightmare.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to circleB

If the don't like the appendix approach, maybe endnotes would be more appropriate. You can't automate those in the same way that footnotes are supported, but there are scripts to convert footnotes to endnotes.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Namely, this is the endnote script resource page: http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesignscripts.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

Thank you, Michael. I don't have that bookmarked.

And I think I may owe you an apology.... I linked to your own resource page for someone the other day asking a GREP question, and I think I referred to you as someone formerly active here. You seem to be here quite a bit over the last week, and I wanted to say thanks, and welcome back.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hey Peter, I've been busy building InDesign plug-in panels lately. And teaching, and traveling, and house building, and family, and so on... I wish there were more than 24 hours in a day! There isn't enough of me to spread around to all my pursuits.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to circleB

Agreed and alas! We all wish footnotes and endnotes and cross refs were strengthened!

My position has always been to work within the constraints of the software as it currently exists. That means change the design to suit the strengths of the software. I often argue this thought with clients. No, I don't often win this sort of argument with clients! Alas...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points