Skip navigation
hawklearn
Currently Being Moderated

Site broken after simple CSS tweak uploaded DW CS6

Dec 8, 2012 12:01 PM

Hi,

I'm a subscriber to Creative Cloud, using DW CS6 for CSS tweaks and ftp uploads.

See this site: http://www.santafe-webdesign.com. I have been using DW since 1996, keeping it updated. A few weeks ago I moved from CS5 to CS6. I found that as soon as I did this, I would break websites when I uploaded simple CSS changes using DW ftp. My websites would turn into blank white pages, as you can see (I'm going to restore the site asap, so depending on when you see this post, the site may be back up).

Initially I thought maybe my new Macbook Pro had a bug. Anyway, I learned that DW had an update that addressed this problem, so I updated DW. The problem still existed. I finally learned via the forum that DW need the line break setting in Code formatting in preferences to be set for Windows. I thought that solved the problem, but the exact problem is back.

All I did today was add a tiny bit of CSS to the template css file and upload it. Again, my business is down online.

What in the world is going on?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to hawklearn

Hi Hawklearn,

It showed up as a blank white page for me. I would restore from a prior version in the meantime like you described. I'd recommend posting about the issue on the Dreamweaver forum.

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,719 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Dec 8, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to hawklearn

No need, I moved this over. You can delete the other one

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to hawklearn

Your website files were not uploaded in the server root folder per your link.as of 6pm EST

I found them fully functional in a subfolder named testakeeba

http://www.santafe-webdesign.com/testakeeba/

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to hawklearn

First, what is the purpose of the subfolder named testakeeba ?

I trust you are working with a defined site, yes?

In the FTP section of your site configuration, what is the name of the target folder for your uploads?

Are you using the "synchronize" setting?

(sorry, I don't have a recent verasion of DW and I am more comfortable with a 3rd party FTP program for precise control)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to hawklearn

Well, I can certainly feel your pain, I can't imagine how uploading a single file could delete all the other files on the server... it sounds impossible doesn't it?

If you go the 3rd party FTP route, I like WS-FTP Pro by Ipswich. The program is small and quick to load, and if you set your local file window to sort newest files on top, you can instantly see which files have not yet been uploaded. Just select the file(s) and click the arrow to upload.

You can even drag & drop files from any local window to the server.

I guess the only difference is instead of loading your login information into DW, you enter it in your FTP program

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Dec 9, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to hawklearn

Filezilla is another suggestion for a 3rd party FTP client - http://filezilla-project.org/

Also, if you feel this is something you want to report to Adobe, feel free: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Dec 9, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to hawklearn

Could possibly be. But unless it is a reproducible issue, there is no way for us to find out if it is a system related bug or if it was on the server-side.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Dec 9, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to hawklearn

Valid points. Agreed.

For Firefox you can use firebug btw.

Also ftp client in dw has some added features already for creative cloud subscribers. We can hopefully expect major face lift in next major release for perpetual licenses.

|
    Mark as:
  • lingoes
    11 posts
    Oct 18, 2012
    Dec 10, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to hawklearn

Looking for the answer for same problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Dec 10, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to hawklearn

What is a perpetual license? Is that different from Creative Cloud? Do Cloud customers get different features than those who purchase the software?

Perpetual license is a 'never-end' license unlike Creative Cloud which works on a subscription model.

Not really - Creative Cloud subscribers fdo not get 'different' features. They get new features first. The rest of us have to wait for an update to the core application to be released to get those features.

As seen on Adobe's website, read the last line:

Screen Shot 2012-12-10 at 6.31.10 PM.png

-ST

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points