Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video in video help.

Dec 8, 2012 1:01 PM

I will answer the question sheet before proceeding to my questions.

What version of After Effects? ---- CS6, latest update.

Have you installed the recent updates? ---- Yes, I did.

What operating system? ---- Win 8 x 64

What kind(s) of source footage? ---- I have been using AFX for two days now, I still have no idea about what this is.

If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)? ---- No.

What were you doing when the problem occurred? ----

Has this ever worked before? ----

What other software are you running? ---- Adobe AFX

Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? ---- No.

Tell us about your computer hardware: 3.1Ghz, 2nd Generation I3 Intel Processor, GPU: GeForce GTX 460 1GB x256 bit GDDR5 - 4gb of RAM

Do you have any third-party I/O hardware? ---- No.

Are you using OpenGL features in After Effects? ---- No idea.

Does the problem only happen with your final output, RAM preview, or both? ----

Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing? ---- I would but it says I do not have enough RAM memory, I thought 4GB are enough though.

What is the exact sequence of steps that you are taking? ----

I am creating a video explanation of Seismic Waves for my Physics Class. I am using Camtasia Studio 7 to "stick" everything I do in AFX.

I have some kind of "main frame" where I created a nice effect running in the right part of the screen, in the left side I left enough space to present the things that the video will go through. I want each of my four videos with seismic waves to appear there, along with a text, one by one. I want one video to fade in,  stay there like 2-3 secounds and then fade out, the next one to fade in, stay 2,3 sec and fade out and so on. (note: It doesn't have to fade actually, but I just gave it as an example). This would be like some kind of preview, and the next things, since I do not handle all the effects yet, I could do in Camtasia.

The biggest problems I encounter are with the video in video thingy, since I don't know how to make the videos to appear and disappear at a certain time, nor the framing and the fading.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to Mastermates

Do you know how to use Photoshop? AE is Photoshop on steroids for video.

Layers have in and out points, transparency, position, rotation.... Animate those. If you don't know how to animate please check out the basics. AE is not a program that you can use without training.

Basic AE

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 12:50 AM   in reply to Mastermates

I would like to check the AE basics too, if I could find them.

You're not looking hard enough. VideoCopilot has them and the ongoing series from Andrew Devis on creativeCOw is now at episode 60. A simple web search can turn them up. That aside "video in video" simply means you slap on one layer on top of the otehr and scale and position it accordingly. That's something you can even do in the Camtasia editor, if AE is too much to handle for the moment...

Also I wanted to ask you, if I have a video with a white background, is there anything I can do in AE to make it grey or any other colour? without damaging the content shown.

Probably not, but feel free to try the Chenge to Color effect. For anything more you will get into the treacherous waters of keying and rotoscoping. White is simply not a "color", hence any color correction tool cannot successfully change it without isolating such stuff from the rest...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points