Skip navigation
BrackmannPhotography
Currently Being Moderated

Can't save in Adobe RGB, Elements 10

Dec 8, 2012 4:09 PM

I want to save a picture from Elements 10 to an Adobe RGB color space .jpg file.  I have set the color management optimiztion to Adobe RGB but it still saves as sRGB.  In the Save As window it says it is saving as ICC Adobe RGB but it saves it sRGB anyway!  Also, there's no way to know this unless you run another program that detects the color space, such as QImage.  Is this a bug or am I missing something?  I want to save in Adobe RGB.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

I recall a discussion of this some time ago. I think that sRGB is in the metadata from the digital camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

Your opening the image with camera raw?

Under Image>Color Settings you have it set to Always Optimize for Printing?

After you open the image into pse 10, what profile does it list at the bottom left of the image window?

Screenshot-(27).png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

Some where along the way (in photoshop cs5 to conform with the current standards)) adobe changed the way the data was written to jpegs, so pse 10 might have that change as well and some programs won't read the data right.

I just saved a canon EOS 60D file to jpeg from pse 10 in the adobe rgb 1998 color space and both krita and gimp said the profile was adobe rgb 1998.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2012 10:02 PM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

Before saving the image in JPEG , convert its profile to Adobe RGB using "Image Menu>Convert Color Profile" and then choose "Convert to Adobe RGB profile. Now save the image.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 11:52 PM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

Everything is a confirmation that your image is in aRGB.

What is not clearly explained by the previous posts, is that the camera setting of aRGB or sRGB is only active for jpegs.

Raw files from camera have no color profile.

At most, your camera setting choice may be recorded in the metadata.

In Elements, you have no menu to choose the color space in the ACR dialog. That choice is made by selecting your option in the editor, menu edit/color settings.

If you choose 'Optimize for printing', that option is transferred to the ACR plug-in to do the proper conversion in aRGB.

(Note that if you are starting with an sRGB jpeg, you won't gain anything in converting to aRGB).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

I just did a test with a raw image (CR2) processed through ACR with the preference option set to 'Optimize for print'. Not surprisingly, the raw conversion resulted in an aRGB profile. Then I tested if color aware software like Firefox or Faststone could recognize the profile : they did not.

I then searched in the exif viewer plugin of Firefox : the standard location is not documented : 'uncalibrated'. But if you delve into the Adobe specific section of the metadata, you find the correct profile, which explains why other Adobe software do recognize it.

I'll have to check with other versions (6 and 11) to see if they behave in the same way... it won't be long!

Edit :

I do not see any change in versions 6 and 11 compared with version 10. (I don't have version 9 nor qImage).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

What happens if you save the image in the tiff format instead of jpeg?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 11:44 PM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

BrackmannPhotography wrote:

Yes.  It appears that PSE 10 saves the tiff image as Adobe RGB, according

to QImage.  So now what?  I can't save jpg as Adobe RGB?  Is this a bug?

To be precise : it seems you can't save jpegs edited in Elements as Adobe RGB (the real color space being aRGB) with a correct metatdata understandable by non Adobe softwares. Your image is really in Adobe RBG, but Qimage or other software won't read the info present in the Adobe section of the metadata.

Is it a bug ? If that is confirmed I believe so, but I don't understand why a serious software like qimage is unable to get the info in the metadata.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 12:07 AM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

In photoshop elements 10 are you using File>Save As or File>Save?

Are there layers in the file before saving?

From my understanding of QImage, it will default to sRGB if it thinks there is no profile embedded.

What version of QImage are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

Here's something  over on photoshop.com that is similar to your experience:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/duel_color_space s_embedded_in_files

I don't know whether whatever change in photoshop cs5 was carried over to pse 10 or not, but it seems QImage was updated to fix the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:36 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

With this document, it's very clear what happened in the metadata. Who is right, Adobe or Qimage ?

- The color space is stored in two places in the metadata. The first one is not changed by Adobe. When Adobe makes changes, they are stored in the Adobe section of the metadata.

- Qimage reads only the first one, ignoring the Adobe section. Is it ok ? Qimage ignoring Adobe section is not smart and does not seem prudent from a marketing point of view ... and perhaps it's a bit arrogant from Adobe to expect other developers to take its own metadata into account. It's up to you to choose.

- Both parties rejected the responsability to the other one... and both took measures to correct the problem in ulterior versions.

What I'd like to stress is that there is no way to tell the profile of a jpeg except if that is written in the metadata section. That does not solve the problem of  BrackmanPhotography  with his present versions of PSE and Qimage .

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 5:33 AM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

I have come to exactly the same conclusion : exporting in tiff may be the only solution with the disadvantage of bigger file size.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

Well there is one more thing you might try, as strange as it sounds, you might try unchecking the save profile box in the save as dialog and see if QImage

reads the Adobe 1998 (aRGB) profile correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to BrackmannPhotography

I don't know as i don't use QImage.

They may have a trial version that you could try.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points