Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Question on Text....

Dec 8, 2012 9:45 PM

Is there a way to keep an end-user from changing font size on their end in a website? I noticed that when I'm in IE and I change the text size from Medium to Larger, it blows the look of our site way out of proportion. Here's the link to the site.

http://www.wenatcheekennelclub.com/test/

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 8, 2012 10:20 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Koski

Jeffrey Koski wrote:

Is there a way to keep an end-user from changing font size on their end in a website?

No, and neither should there be.

End users should always have the ability to change their browser preferences to whatever font size they wish so they can read the web page. It's part of web design accessibility.

Even if you do set up clever code to fix the font size, in IE, Tools > Internet Options > Accessibility, "Ignore font sizes specified on web pages" means the code can be ignored so the user can tailor the web  page to suit themselves for easy reading.

Your design needs to be flexible enough to accommodate any font size since you really have no idea how the end user will view the web page.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Koski

The CSS for the main page is specified in a fixed font size for body (14px) and #content (16px).

Disable the CSS font-size rules for those selectors or set IE Accessibility to ignore font sizes and the text size changes as expected.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points