Skip navigation
alperkt
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to keep track of unused photos?

Dec 9, 2012 7:34 AM

Tags: #photos #indesign #tracking #unused #photobook

Hello all,

My wife designs photo books in InDesign. She places all the photos that she is going to use for a book in a folder. Than one by one she places them in different page layouts.

The problem is that most of the time she is having difficulty in keeping track of which photos are used and if she left any photo missing during the designing process.

She can only check if she used all the photos at the end of the process when she thinks she placed all the photos, she checks the number of links from the links panel. If the number of links does not match the number of photos then she is in trouble because she has to go back, find the missing photo and place it in the relevant page. It is quite difficult when your layout is fixed and you have to move each photo forward to insert the missing photo in between.

Do you suggest any solution to keep track of unused photos in a folder?

Regards

Alper

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to alperkt

It might make sense to select all the photos in the folder at one time and place them one by one until you run out.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to alperkt

Hello Alper,

About the only way I can think of for that work-flow--and at that only for your last paragraph--would be to append something to the filename during the place command. With the place dialog open, if you are careful, you can opt to rename a file, then reselect it and place it. All that does is give a clue when browsing the folder to check if all the files have this appended name. Something like:

original_filename.tif

original_filename_01.tif

As for the larger issue, in the past I would go through the text copy and insert [insert image here] and as I go through adding images or graphics, I would search for the next string and insert the appropriate image. Then search for the next occurrence, place another, etc., until I was finished. While it isn't fool proof, especially with technical manuals like I did due to their nature of change, it worked.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to alperkt

If you select links in the Links panel, Copy Info for Selected Links on the Links panel menu, then paste into a text frame. You'll see something like this:

Name          Status          Page

1980-01-05 18.23.43.jpg          OK          1

1980-01-05 18.23.53.jpg          OK          1

1980-01-05 18.24.04.jpg          OK          1

In ID, there are tabs between the items.

If the graphics are placed in anchored frames in a text flow that's threaded across all pages, it's easy to insert a missing graphic between existing graphics. Depending on the size of the graphic and the size of the text frame it's anchored in, inserted graphics might flow automatically  to the next page, or you might need to set the paragraph style that contains the anchored frames to start in a new frame or on a new page. With Preferences > Type > Smart Text Reflow enabled, InDesign generates new pages as needed.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign Smart Text Reflow," "InDesign anchored frames," "InDesign threading text," "InDesign flowing text," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

hayalet wrote:

Hello all,

My wife designs photo books in InDesign. She places all the photos that she is going to use for a book in a folder. Than one by one she places them in different page layouts.

The problem is that most of the time she is having difficulty in keeping track of which photos are used and if she left any photo missing during the designing process.

She can only check if she used all the photos at the end of the process when she thinks she placed all the photos, she checks the number of links from the links panel. If the number of links does not match the number of photos then she is in trouble because she has to go back, find the missing photo and place it in the relevant page. It is quite difficult when your layout is fixed and you have to move each photo forward to insert the missing photo in between.

Do you suggest any solution to keep track of unused photos in a folder?

Regards

Alper

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to alperkt

Capturing the names of graphics linked into the active document is simple. Select the links in the Links panel. Easier than using the Links panel menu is: Right+click or Option+click the highlighted links and choose Copy Info > Copy Info for Selected Files, paste into a text frame, compare to the list of files in the graphics files' source folder(s).

If your wife needs to insert missing graphics into an existing document, then, yes, there are some things to do. I forgot to mention a Google search for "InDesign insert move pages," without quotes for details.

Perhaps it's complicated to you as a new user, but if you wife's experienced with InDesign, then it's probably not.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

alperkt wrote:

Dear Peter (Spier), Mike and Peter (Gold),

Thank you all for such a quick response. This is my first question in Adobe Community and I must admit that I did not expect a reply so soon.

My wife is somehow following a similar method that is suggested by Mike and indeed we were looking for a more effective solution.

So far recommendation by Peter (Gold) sounds like the most interesting one. Though it looks a bit advanced, we will try our best and let you all know of the result.

Again, thank you!

Regards,

Alper

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points