Skip navigation
Psalmos
Currently Being Moderated

Does anybody know a Download Assistant which ist even more stupid than that of Adobe?

Dec 9, 2012 8:54 AM

Tags: #download_assistant

The Assistant I use is restarting an uncompleted download from the very beginning after each shutdown. Gigabytes ... several times  ... congratulations,  Adobe!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to Psalmos

Sounds like a rhetoric question to me...

BTW, if you want to contact Adobe, you probably ought to write to Adobe rather than posting to a user-to-user forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to Psalmos

And you're expecting us to do what then?

Although you may want to consider checking out your computer. I've used Adobe's downloader on three different computers (2 PCs and 1 Mac) with no problems whatsoever.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Psalmos

Psalmos wrote:

Obviously you personally have nothing to contribute, as everything is working so nice on your computers. Fine.

But perhaps there are others with different experiences - like me? Then they might give me some consult. If no, then I may always just buy a DVD - not in the Adobe store of course ...

You, I think, are on the payroll of Adobe, no?

Steve is not on the Adobe payroll.  He has his own business.  He has "contributed" 13,400 posts in this user-to-user forum in a generous spirit. 

So far, you have posted 10 times since January 2010, only three of which are recent.  And, they have an unfriendly tone!

I suggest you try to remove the "bitter" tone in your questions and, perhaps, you will find other users that will volunteer potential solutions.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Psalmos

When one is experiencing issues with downloading Adobe programs, or updates, the cause is most often with their browser, or with their security settings. Next, will be problems with anti-virus, anti-malware, or anti-whatever programs, running, and interferring with the download.

1. What browser are you using?
    2. Do you have another to try?
    3. What firewall/security settings do you have?
    4. When downloading, and/or installing, do you have any anti-anything programs running? If so, have you tried with them turned OFF, just for this process?

While there CAN be other issues, those are the most common ones, that we see on these Adobe forums.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Psalmos

OK, if you were able to get the download to complete, what is the file extension of that file?

You should be able to manually Extract the full folder structure, contained within that archived file, then install.

Sorry that you have had issues with Adobe products for so very long. Starting with Photoshop ver. 2.5 (the first for the PC), I have had exactly one issue, and that was when I skipped a few versions of Illustrator, before upgrading. In my case, the internal S/N database did not go back to the S/N convention of my copy of AI, and Customer Support had me installed and running in less than 5 mins. Since PS 2.5, I have had many dozens of Adobe programs, and all installed perfectly, and ran perfectly. Now, I do  buy the media, but have never had one issue (beyond that one AI installation).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to Psalmos

Actually, I started with PageMaker when it was part of the Aldus portfolio. I picked that up in their suite w/ PhotoStyler, PageMaker and Freehand. I upgraded PM through 7.5, IIRC, and used it extensively until InDesign replaced it in the Adobe lineup. I kept it around, until I got up to speed with InD. Freehand stuck around, until I went to Illustrator, but I still upgraded it (when it was acquired by MacroMedia), and used it for a few jobs. PhotoStyler was not bought by Adobe, along with PM, but stayed with the developers, who went on to form Ulead (used several of their other programs too, and still have their PhotoImpact, that I use for my JPEG/GIFF viewer on my workstation. Photoshop hit for the PC, and I got the third copy shipped on that first day. It completely replaced PhotoStyler in my toolbox. I have had it, and used it commercially for all the years since, missing only 3 upgrades (5.5, CS 3 and CS 4). Same with Premiere Pro. I picked up Premiere with version 6.5, and have kept with it ever since, only missing CS 3 & CS 4.

I used most of the MacroMedia programs, and have them now in their Adobe iterations, but do not use them much any more. Some apps., that came with the MacroMedia Studio did get installed, but never used, so cannot really comment on those.

Along the way, I also had Adobe TypeAlign, Streamline, PageMill, GoLive, and a few more. Some were better, than others, but none failed me - they were just not as good as what replaced them, in a few years (like PageMill & GoLive, replaced by Dreamweaver, when Adobe acquired MacroMedia).

Now, every copy of every Adobe program was run on Windows, so I cannot address anything, relative to the Mac platform, or how any of those Adobe programs might, or might not have performed.

Until I retired a couple of years ago, I used all of my Adobe programs commercially, and they made me a lot of money. The only other software, that even came close, was Fractal Design's (now Corel) Painter, and that was probably at a ratio of 1000:1. Even though I am now retired, I still upgraded my Production Premium suite to CS 5.5 & CS 6, because I still use those programs for my personal use, and love them. My Web design programs are now several versions back, but I no longer have use for the current iterations vs my older ones. They still work fine for me, just as they did, when I bought them originally from MacroMedia.

I am sorry that you have had bad fortune with Adobe products, and I guess that I got all the good luck?

Though I do not use PrE that much, since I like PrPro much better, I still bought PrE 11, mainly to help out on this forum, and stay current. For PrE, I liked PrE 3 better, but that was because the GUI was closer to that of PrPro, which I had much more experience with, and suited my personal workflow better.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Psalmos

Actually, Quark was ported for the PC, at one point. I had two clients, who used it, but there WERE issues, and in one case, I would usually help by doing that person's Projects in PM. Quark seemed to always work better on the Mac, than the PC. I never used Quark, but did sit patiently by, while those two clients fought the program, while I tried to troubleshoot things - seldom very effectively. We would end up with me getting the layout w/ annotations and instructions, and then reproducing things in PM for final output. Long, and convoluted workflow, but it did get many Projects to the printer, and usually on-time.

Yes, with some exceptions, life WAS easier "back then," but with the power available now, I am not sure that I would go back. Like the days when I edited film, vs doing the editing with digital video - fun for an historic perspective, but not what I would want to do on a daily basis, nowadays.

Good luck with PrE.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Psalmos

I just had a look on the Brave New World when I saw Photoshop Express in Google's Android future on a Chinese clone of Apple's iPad. That's the way things will go, as far as I believe, with connections somewhere to the Clouds (computing). So I think that time is over and Adobe Systems will in the nearer future follow Kodak on the road to hell.

Yes, Adobe is pouring tons of $ into Cloud Computing, and distribution of their software, and things ARE changing, and pretty rapidly. I think that in that case, I will be happy to be retired, and just playing with my Premiere, Photoshop and the like, and let the "younger folk," do touch-screen editing on tiny handheld devices - I'll still be plodding along with my dual 24" monitors, as my eyes are no longer good enough for the little screens (even wife's iPad, the full-sized one, is too small for me, plus my fingers are too thick to use a little touch-screen critically.) CS 6 on the workstation, or custom laptop, will probably be the end of the line for this old guy.

The mention of Kodak brings a tear to my eyes, as we were tied into them very closely. Going back to the earliest days of "personal computers," we were a pilot for their Q-Lab project, and were the first certified lab, when the program went "live." We shot Kodak film by the case, and I still have several thousand sheets of Ektachrome 4 x 5. Same for my 4 x 5 and 6 x 6 cm. Polaroid - all way, way out of date now.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to Psalmos

Rolf,

Thanks, and the best luck to you too!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...