Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Key commands to italicize text, why won't it work now?

Dec 9, 2012 11:20 AM

Tags: #text #editing #italic

For some years now I have used Shift/Command/I to italicize selected text. Today ID has decided this no longer works. Now when I use it, the open panels are moved from the right side of the window to the left side. Very strange. I have made no changes in key commands so it did this on its own. I did search to see if I could find a function for moving panels, to see if this key combo was somehow assigned to it but could not find such a function. Anyone have any idea what has happened here?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to rpitcairn

You cannot assign the single keyboard shortcut to 2 functions in Indesign at same context so you can check to what function this keyborad shortcut is applied to aind to which context.

Remove if you find this keyborad shortcut applied anywhere else,

else, Replace your preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 4:57 PM   in reply to rpitcairn

Can you check these, under "Product area: Views, Navigation"?

Open/Close all panels in side tabs --- Default: Opt+Cmd+Tab

Open/Close panels in left side tabs --- [none defined]

Open/Close panels in right side tabs --- [none defined]

(Although I doubt it's actually one of these that suddenly gained a hotkey. I can't think of a function that moves your panels from left to right.)

Coincidentally (or not), did you know that Ctrl+I (Cmd+I in Mac parlance) historically inserted a Tab character in the absence of a real Tab key? And the Tab key is used for manipulating panels. Did you recently install some sort of keyboard helper software, or some other background software that acts on a system global hotkey? IIRC, these have been known to mess up ID's own key handling.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to rpitcairn

Have you verified that you are using the correct shortcut set? You can set up to nine shortcuts to choose one of your user workspaces (one per workspace). Any chance you have a worksapce that's configured this way?

If not, try trashing the prefs as Manish suggested above.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to rpitcairn

No. You will have to reselect the shorcut set to use it, and perhaps the workspace, but those are not erased from where thay are stored. Read the link.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points