Skip navigation
JRP_Photo
Currently Being Moderated

Will 32GB RAM have noticeable benefit compared to 16GB?

Dec 9, 2012 11:09 AM

Will 32GB RAM have noticeable benefit compared to 16GB?  Reason I'm asking is that I've just built a new PC: 3770K, 32GB RAM, SSD for OS and programs, SSD for scratch, Caviar Black for storage, etc but unfortunately Windows 7 Home Premium only allows 16GB RAM!  I have Windows 8 Pro which I could install giving me access to full 32GB but only really want to do this if 32GB will offer tangible benefit to Photoshop. 

Would love to hear from those that actually have upgraded from 16GB to 32GB.  Thx!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to JRP_Photo

For a meaningful answer you probably need to give more details of what type of high demand PS jobs you will be doing.  For run of the mill operations it will probably make no difference.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 9, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to JRP_Photo

I would say so.  My last workstation, up through September, had 16 GB RAM.  My replacement has 48 GB.

With an SSD on the job for scratch disk usage, you won't feel it "go virtual" nearly as much (I have an SSD array), but having gobs of spare RAM means you can do reeeeally big stuff and the system just takes it in stride.

I don't know whether you can use it, but if you have a choice I recommend ECC RAM, as it will correct errors or at least let you know (through the BIOS) if there's an uncorrectable one.  I would never have another system without ECC myself.  EDIT:  I see you already have the RAM.  Never mind. 

-Noel

P.S., I keep 100 History states.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 9, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to JRP_Photo

By the way, Windows 8 isn't mature yet, so you might take on new problems by upgrading.

Can you upgrade your Windows 7 still via Windows Anytime Upgrade.  I would recommend that rather than moving to Windows 8, to be honest.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to JRP_Photo

You could also upgrade to Win 7 Professional if you want to say away from Win 8's new look.  Win 7 Professional will accept up to 192 gigs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 9, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to JRP_Photo

I fully understand not wanting to spend more money, but Windows 8 is really that bad that you might want to consider it.

I'm a career software engineer and an incurable technophile, and as such I've always been an early adopter.

I have been running every preview version of Windows 8 in virtual machines, and I presently have the Windows 8 Enterprise release running that way, but I refuse to upgrade my host workstation from Windows 7 Ultimate simply because Windows 8 represents a tangible reduction in usability.  And you should know I've written the book on this (literally ).

EVEN IF it were perfect, which it is not (there are many driver problems still), I wouldn't upgrade to Windows 8.  That Microsoft chose to degrade the desktop user experience is the prime reason.   Is it something you could get used to?  Possibly.  Are there compelling reasons to do so?  Not that I can see.

In your case, the additional memory access may well be that compelling reason.  If you do choose to upgrade, have a look at my book.  Lots of helpful info on making it lean and stable in there, as well as making the desktop a more productive environment by restoring some of the things Microsoft degraded.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to JRP_Photo

The major problem with Win 8 is GPU drivers for older cards. 

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to JRP_Photo

From what i have read in reviews and on various forums, sell the windows 8 license and get windows 7 pro!.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 15, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to JRP_Photo

Thanks for your follow-up, JRP.  It's always good to hear when people have good experiences with something that's getting bad press.

Out of curiosity, do you tend to use one app at a time (e.g., Photoshop) or do you do a lot of multitasking where you plaster multiple windows all over those big beautiful screens?  My observation is that people who tend to concentrate on one task at a time tend to like Windows 8 better than those who do more multi-window operations.

One of my big complaints with Windows 8 is the loss of the Aero Glass effects (including drop shadows) that help differentiate windows from one another.

I'm guessing you have a nVidia graphics card.  ATI has not yet resolved some of the big problems with their drivers in Windows 8.

I'll bet you're really enjoying that system.  The i7-3770K is a great performer.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 15, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to JRP_Photo

I've done a fair bit of controlled testing...  Windows 8 is some 30% faster to boot up, because it runs less stuff out of the chute, but for for all other things it's about the same as doing a fresh install of Windows 7.  There aren't big differences in performance - for some things it's a little faster and others it's actually a little slower.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points