Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

web 2.0 newbie question

Dec 9, 2012 12:00 PM

Tags: #up #window #pop

Hi all,

on some web pages - when I hover over a link - an extra text window pop up appears with text info inside and vanishes when I move away.

Q1: what technology is that called and how get I do that with dreamweaver?

ALSO, Along the same lines...

current when I write code to add in item to an invoice - I do it the old fashioned way and let's say have the form process the whole page and add to the database - then re-query the page which will show the new added record...

On some cool web pages when you click to add an item, again a cool new (web 2.0) window appears in the forground with the added record and related form field you can fill out - then you click to process the record

Q2: what technology is that extra floting web 2.0) called and how also get I do that with dreamweaver?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to revdave

First before I go any further.  Take that term "web 2.0" throw in a box, seal the box, take it out to sea, tie an anchor to it and bury the term forever.  Now to your questions.

1.  It's called a tooltip.  Plenty of ways to get this from using JQuery Tooltips to the Twitter Bootstrap.  But there's no UI way to do this in DW.  You will need to code a little.

The pop-up you are referring to is a modal window.  Again, plenty of ways to do that from the above options to other 3rd party scripts like Fancybox.  The form processor you mention without page refreshes is a little more complicated and uses AJAX/JSON to pass data to a PHP script and then prepends/appends data to the outputted file.  This is very advanced and if you haven't done a lot of work coding PHP and Javascript I'd recommend looking for a pre-built shop solution or hit the books.  It's a complicated topic so helping would require you to have enough understanding to have someone help you through it.

2.???  I don't understand what you are asking at all here.  Please re-state or further explain your question.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to revdave

Take that term "web 2.0" throw in a box, seal the box, take it out to sea, tie an anchor to it and bury the term forever.

SE, I love that!

revdave,

This could be helpful for you: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/31155/Ajax-Tutorial-for-Beginners- Part-1

All the best!

-ST

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to Sudarshan Thiagarajan

Thanks ST! By nature I'm a marketing person first and not a web person so you would think I would love that term, but it's just the opposite.  It's like when people confuse "HTML5" building for App building not realizing the inherent differences between the two.

Just to further the point to the OP, you should definitely focus on understanding the modal windows and effects before you try to mix in the form processing.  There's nothing wrong with a page refresh if that's the way you have now and it could be a longer process learning that over implementing the jquery tooltip/modal window.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points