Skip navigation
BowieSydney
Currently Being Moderated

Tabs not aligning in cs6

Dec 9, 2012 6:50 PM

Tags: #mac_os_x #layout #styles #cs6

Have three lines of text formatted with tabs giving 4 columns of numbers, no tab on first column which is descriptions. Text has a paragraph indent. Using soft returns to carry tab attributes through paragraph. Also using 'indent to here' character on first line. Tabs do not align. Have to insert an additional tab in place of 'insert to here' for numbers to align. Previous versions did not have this problem. Anyone else encountered this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 10, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to BowieSydney

Can you post a screenshot? I tried to recreate this on my install of CS6 but I'm not really sure what is not working for you, so it's tough to simulate it. What does "insert to here" mean?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to BowieSydney

Seems to be just fine in CS6 over here:

Untitled.png

I'd suggest exporting your file to IDML and re-opening in CS6, to see if there is any file corruption that can be cleaned out. But that's almost the only suggestion I can think of; your layout should work as you expect.

Is this an old CS2 or CS3 file that you've opened in CS6, or is it a new file? (If you don't know for sure, you can find out by holding down Control and clicking on Help -> About InDesign. The "Document History" is in the lower left hand corner.) If it's an old file, you may want to export INX from the old source and open that in CS6. Text composition has changed a lot from version to version, and conversion of old formats to new is a not-uncommon source of Inexplicable Weirdness in text layout.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

(Joel, it seems your tabs setup doesn't quite match that of Bowie.)

I set up a sample in CS6 similar to Bowie's, and I get incorrect output. But mine is a little different in that the offset occurs on the second line under where the "Indent Here" is located on the first line.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to BowieSydney

This is when a sample document illustrating the issue is really helpful...

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Joel Cherney wrote:

Is this an old CS2 or CS3 file that you've opened in CS6, or is it a new file? (If you don't know for sure, you can find out by holding down Control and clicking on Help -> About InDesign.

Judging from the tags on the original post, this is a Mac file, so the key would be the Cmd key, and you'll find About InDesign under the InDesign menu, not Help, I believe.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Judging from the tags on the original post, this is a Mac file,

Oof. Yup, that'd be a Mac file. Bowie, it might be useful to do that even though you know it's a new file - you could tell us exactly which version of CS6 you are using, e.g. 8.0.1.406

(Joel, it seems your tabs setup doesn't quite match that of Bowie.)

You're right, Tom - I would have thought that the differences were insignificant.

Untitled.png

Either there is something that I am missing (I hammered this sample out in fifteen seconds, it's quite possible that it's still not an accurate recreation) or perhaps this issue is be platform-related. Also, I'd want to second Mike's suggestion here - is there any way you can post this file (or a file that recreates the issue without sharing any proprietary info) to something like Dropbox?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Just to follow up -- Joel, your first tab (align left) could be deleted and not affect your type (because of its position). Bowie's first tab (align left) is where his problem is occuring.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points