Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Design to Complex for Shape Tween? Or too complex for my brain?

Dec 9, 2012 3:44 PM

Tags: #shape_tween

Greetings folks,

I don't know if my idea is possible but I've given it a try.  It has not worked out as expected.  Basically, I'm doing a multi-scene interactive animation.  In this scene, I have a proto-planet hitting proto-earth.  I was trying to have 2 spheres collide, and leave behind smooshed spheres.  I'll be attaching 3 screenshots to show you my progress.  Here is how I have it set up:

Screenshot01.jpg

I did not originally have the shape hints.  I added the 4 seen here after the tween behaved unexpectedly.  It did not change my outcome.

Here is where I'd like to end up:

Screenshot02.jpg

Those are separate shapes, each inserted in the keyframe at the end of my intended shape tween.

Here is the view somewhat in the middle.  I chose this particular frame because it seems to best display this "duplicating sphere" thing the best.

Screenshot03.jpg

Rather than morphing one to the other, it just seems to replicating the first shape instance until it hits the end of the tween.  Then it displays my smooshed spheres "out of the blue" so to speak.

I do not know if I am asking more than the software is capable of offering or if I have made some error in my own logic.  Advice, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to Rayven Wolfe

The overall complexity of the vector determines the success. Are these spheres drawn using Flash? I'm able to easily draw a sphere on one frame, extend the timeline a bunch of frames, turn the timeline into a shape tween, add a keyframe at the end (which auto-adds the circle shape). I then delete the shape from the last frame and draw a completely different shape (15 sided polystar just to mention) and I messed with it a lot, moving points all over. I scrub the timeline and it morphes from the circle into the wacky polygon just fine.

If you haven't already can you try making your planet shapes in Flash and see if it works?

Lastly are you using 3d transforms on these layers? The double sphere almost looks like a cube has the sphere projected onto all sides in 3d.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to Rayven Wolfe

Just open a new document and do as I did. Draw a basic shape using the built in tools, extend the timeline, convert to shape tween and then draw in some other crazy shape in a keyframe at the end. If that works, then reproduce your current issue using the AI files (which surely have more complicated vectors).

Import one AI file, extend out, shape tween, add a keyframe at the end and paste in a different AI document. See if you can reproduce the odd behavior. If it does then the vectors might need to be simplified. Simply the shapes themselves in AI and during exporting the file from AI use the lowest version of AI you can for maximum compatibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to Rayven Wolfe

Yes the lowest version (legacy) supported in your AI's save dialog. The lower down you go the less features and bloat to the file. This can sometimes fix the issue. Also saving down to much less metadata-loving formats like EPS can help as well. The general idea is to simplify the file for Flash without losing the look as it will enhance your chance of successfully importing.

Let us what you end up doing. There's no shortage of animators out there using Flash for this stuff every day so any new bugs popping up are important to note in the bugbase.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points