Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to create leader dots in a table (without tabs)?

Dec 9, 2012 4:28 PM

I am creating a table with a significant amount of data that I want to separate by leader dots. I know I could do this with tabs, but is there an easier way to do this in a table?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 9, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

Sure there is!

Add a Rule Above to the paragraph style of your table text, set its style to "Dotted" and its weight to something you like. Then add a Rule Below, and make it a bit thicker than the dotted rule. Set its color to "Red" or something so you can see what you do next: vertically manouver the Offset so the "Below" rule covers the "Above" rule. When positioned Jus' Right, set its color to [Paper].

The only danger is that you might get the first dot after your text clipped off. In that case all you can do is .. add a Tab! (If you try to use any of the fixed spaces, you're in for a not so pleasant surprise: apparently the Rule Below ignores them! But you may consider this the price of doing it the easy way.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to [Jongware]

[Jongware] wrote:

The only danger is that you might get the first dot after your text clipped off. In that case all you can do is .. add a Tab! (If you try to use any of the fixed spaces, you're in for a not so pleasant surprise: apparently the Rule Below ignores them! But you may consider this the price of doing it the easy way.)

Oh wait, it springs to life if you add a small fixed space and then add manual kerning between this and the last text character.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 2:56 AM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

I think I know your aversion to adding tabs in a table - you have to manually keep going to Type>Insert Character> Tab etc.

But did you know that if you go to Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts and go to the Type Menu and navigate to the "Insert Special Character: Other: Tab

You then set your Tab key to work in Tables by  changing the "Context" area from default to "Tables"

Now your Tab key will work inside tables - but it takes away the function of using Tab to go from Cell to Cell.

You can also do this for the Right Indent Tab so that too works inside a table.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Default shortcut for a tab in a table is Opt+Tab on the Mac.

.. The Windows pendant ought to be Alt+Tab, but I get an entirely different program when I use that -- the default set only shows "Tab --- [none defined]".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Seems to me I set up Ctrl + Alt + Tab to do tabs in tables a few versions ago, but I so seldom use tables these days that I don't know if I preserved that shortcut set.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

I think jongware forget to tell you to set the width of the second rule to "text width" (and you could add a small negative right indent to create space after the text and before the dots).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 12:53 AM   in reply to Neil Weinberg

@Neil – You can "escape" the text selection inside a table cell by:

Using the keyboard shortcut for "Deselect All"

on  Mac OS: Shift + Cmd + A 
    on Windows: Shift + Ctrl + A

Or, if you want to select the text frame with the cell the text curser is in:

1. Press the "cmd" button (on Mac)
    The object your mouse curser is hovering over is temporarily selected *together* with your text selection.

2. then click the left mouse button.
    The text frame will be selected, your text selection deselected, if your mouse curser is hovering over the text frame with the table.

Or use the following script (JavaScript) for "Deselect All" and apply a keyboard shortcut.
    For "Context" choose "Table":

try{app.selection = null}catch(e){};

Uwe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points